Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Swamp green pool....help!!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Swamp green pool....help!!!!

My pool is swamp green...we have tried ever thing the pool store has told us to do...still unchanged over about a 3-4 week period....HELP...any suggestions?? Thanks!!
    New 22' round, 52" deep Coleman (Bestway) AG/10,500 gal/16" Intex sand filter with over the side skimmer/Levelland TX (Lubbock area)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Swamp green pool....help!!!!

ok, sorry just read the reccomendations for posting...my test results are bad simply because I have let it go for a couple of days out of frustration and lack of money...my pH is over 8.2 and chlorine is maybe a 1....I have had it perfect though during the process and that was tested by pool store...I have a 24 round AG pool...we even changed our sand in our filter a week ago but still no results on clearing it.
    New 22' round, 52" deep Coleman (Bestway) AG/10,500 gal/16" Intex sand filter with over the side skimmer/Levelland TX (Lubbock area)

3. Back To Top    #3

Have you read Pool School?

Start with:
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

then

Defeating Algae

and

Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

Don't forget:

Shocking Your Pool

Finally you'll need a good test kit so you don't have to go to the pool store anymore (if you don't want to):
    Test Kit Comparison

I know its a lot of information to take in all at once, but we are here to help. So read the links I gave you, a couple of times, and then give us some test results, and we'll help walk you thru.

Post your pool specs/equipment info into your signature: Go to User Control Panel, then Profile, then Edit Signature.

We can help you thru this!
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you....I will tackle it again this weekend....one more question though...even though my FC level is in shock range...how often should I continue to add more liquid chlorine? Do I wait for it to come down some or not??

5. Back To Top    #5

Wait at least an hour, test your FC level, if it hasn't come down much, wait longer.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you, JasonLion!!.....also I don't really know the exact specs on my pool, we have had it about 7 years..I will try to get that info. and attach it to my profile...not exactly sure how to do this though...

7. Back To Top    #7

ok, so I have poured the liquid chlorine to it today and brushed the entire pool....I have backwashed twice...My question is if the pressure gage is not increasing how often would I still need to backwash to get the green to filter out???

8. Back To Top    #8

I would backwash at least every other day as long as the pool is very murky with algae. When the water starts clearing up you want to clean the filter less often, since a slightly dirty filter is better at catching very fine debris.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you JasonLion!!

10. Back To Top    #10

If I have been using bleach and keeping it at shock level and my CYA still seems to be low, can I put a Trichlor puck in my skimmer to help keep the FC up and help raise the CYA and lower the pH. Readings just now using strip test (because that is all I have right now) were as follows:

FC: 10-12
    pH: 7.6-7.8
    TA: 180
    Cya: 20 (or less)

We did determine we had used too much sand in our filter and have removed some. Hoping that this increases the filter effectiveness.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Also, how do you start a new forum??

11. Back To Top    #11

Sounds like a WONDERFUL use of trichlor pucks if you have them.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by laweatherred
    I suspect that you mean to say topic, rather than forum. The current topic is "Swamp green pool....help!!!!". To start a new topic, you pick a category on the main index http://www.troublefreepool.com/index.html, for example this topic is in Swimming Pool Start-up and Closing. Click on the section name, which will take you to a list of topics currently in that section. Near the top left corner, but below the headings will be a "+ New Topic" button. Press that, enter your questions and press Submit.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Quote Originally Posted by laweatherred
    I suspect that you mean to say topic, rather than forum. The current topic is "Swamp green pool....help!!!!". To start a new topic, you pick a category on the main index http://www.troublefreepool.com/index.html, for example this topic is in Swimming Pool Start-up and Closing. Click on the section name, which will take you to a list of topics currently in that section. Near the top left corner, but below the headings will be a "+ New Topic" button. Press that, enter your questions and press Submit.
    Thank you!!!