Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CC stuck at 1 how to lower to .5

1. Back To Top    #1

CC stuck at 1 how to lower to .5

We converted our pool in the last week and are loving it!
    Everything has been going according to your recommendations. We have kept our levels at 15ppm for the last several days, have had two nights with no FC loss, added stabilizer to reach 40, raised our ph from 7.0-7.2 with Mule Team, and in the midst have had CC reach .5 only one time. It continues to test at 1. How can I reach the goal? Could it have something to do with putting our solar cover on since we were previous baq users?

Current results:
    FC 12
    CC 1
    TC 13
    ph 7.2
    TA 150
    CH 200
    CYA 28 (added the borax three days ago, tested this am)

Thanks for your advice!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: CC stuck at 1 how to lower to .5

Did you change your filter media?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by lagaskell
    {snip}
    Could it have something to do with putting our solar cover on since we were previous baq users?
    I'd guess yes.

There's probably residual goo on the cover. Is there any way to submerge it to completely soak it a while, then open it up and lay it out upside down and scrub it?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

How old is the cover, how long was it used with the Baq, how big is the pool? It may just be simpler to replace it? That's most likely the cause.

In any event sunlight destroys CCs - so you should leave the cover off and let the sun do that work, consider manually cleaning the cover with a bleach and water solution off the pool with a nylon brush - but inspect the bubbles for popped ones that could be harboring baq goo. If it wouldn't be too much money and the cover is more than 2 years old I'd just get a new one if you can.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this entry - did you add borax in order to raise CYA? Or maybe you meant stabilizer instead of borax? Or maybe you know something I don't (very likely) and that you need to wait to test CYA after adding borax? Just curious.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the quick response!
    We have a 21ft AG that is three years old. Our solar cover is in great shape and I'd rather not replace it. I like the scrub it down idea, how strong should I make the bleach solution? We added the solar cover towards the end of the process and kept the FC at 15 for two more days.

We did replace our DE after the FC levels held and the CC dropped to .5.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by crek31
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding this entry - did you add borax in order to raise CYA? Or maybe you meant stabilizer instead of borax? Or maybe you know something I don't (very likely) and that you need to wait to test CYA after adding borax? Just curious.

I added the borax to raise my ph. I had added the stabilizer through the sock/skimmer method and tested in three days rather than waiting the full week since I had dissolved it. I had also added 4lbs of stabilizer per the pool calculator, so I expect my CYA to reach 35-40 in a week.

8. Back To Top    #8

Your solar cover should be fine. Having it in the pool for a while with the FC level at 15 will have cleaned it off just fine.

However, you don't want to actually use the solar cover for several more days. You need sunlight directly hitting the water to help lower your CC level. After several days the CC level should go low enough that using the solar cover will be fine again. But for now, leave it off.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School