Tea Stain keeps coming back every time

Apr 1, 2010
TDS=5000 (I was told it's usually higher with SWG's (true / not true???)
CYA= 40
total chlorine 2.3
free chlorine 2.3
PH <6.2
total alkalinity= 29
adj. total alkalinity 17
total hardness 320
minerals= 3500

here's the issue, beginning season, i had a nasty tea stain on the steps and walls but not on the floor of the pool. i lower the chlorine, then add the iron and copper stain remover (which lowers the ph and alkalinity) now once the stain is gone, i bring my chlorine back up to around 2.5, calcium up to around 320 min (I was told that to keep stains away your calcium needs to be well above 200) and then i slowly bring my alkalinity back up to the correct levels. i've used the pool store chain alkalinity and i've used baking soda. which ever one I use it takes about two days to slowly bring the alkalinity back up no more than two lbs at a time and i pre-dissolve it. every time i get just about done with adding the baking soda or the store brand alkalinity, the tea stain comes back. this is the third time the tea stain has come back. i'm about to make the pool a giant pond for fish. Does anyone have any clue's as to what the heck is going on here and how can i get rid of this stain? i've cleaned my cartridges, three times this season. if your needing any more info let me know. HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sequestrant is a special chemical that binds to the dissolved metals in the water and keeps them from redepositing as stains. Some top brands are ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic the Pink Stuff (regular), the Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and the Purple Stuff (SWG). You can also find many other brands with similar products, some of which are noticeably less expensive. Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective.

ok, yes i do, i currently use the Purple Stuff and it still comes back. usually when im adding the alkalinity. it takes about 1 1/2 days while im adding the alkalinity. Today is Saturday and i started adding the alkalinity on Thursday and the stain is back on my steps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.