Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dumb and Dumber here for opening

1. Back To Top    #1

Dumb and Dumber here for opening

I was ill last year and didn't get the pool open. So it was drained and all leaves, debris is removed. I am now filling the pool, about 3/4 full, so shouldn't be much longer. I had the water tested today and here are the results. I want to use the BBB method. Pool info is in my signature.

CYA 0
    Total chlorine 0.3
    Free chlorine 0
    ph 8
    Tot Alkalinity 104
    Adj total alk 104
    tot hardness 142
    The pool place recommended add 8 lbs of Total Alkalinity increaser (what is that in the BBB method.) aksi add 2 lbs of decreaser They recommended 1/2 gallon of acid and 1/2 bucket of calcium

Okay totally confused what do I need to do to use the BBB method with the above results. I went to the pool calculator but I don't understand it thouroughly.
    Tysnest

18x33 AGP
    16000 gallons
    Waterford 1 1/2 HP/2speed
    Waterford High Rate Sand Filter 21 inch tank
    SunGrabber Solar Panels 3 2x20 ft panels
    New at this pool and clueless

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dumb and Dumber here for opening

First off if the water wasn't circulating or completely full, those numbers could change.

You shouldn't add what they are suggesting, your TA (alk) is fine where it is. Their advice makes no sense whatsover.

Your PH is a bit high, but as I said, that could change once the water is circulating thru the filter.

Once the pool is full and circulating for several hours, run a new test and post back here and we'll help you thru.

There is an article in Pool School that tells you how to use the pool calculator. There is another article that tells you the recommended levels for your pool.

If the new numbers come back similar, all you would need to do would be adding muratic acid to lower the PH into range, then adding chlorine to shock the pool, as well as CYA/Stabilizer (you'll need that anyway.)

So to recap, circulate, retest and post back. Purchase several gallons of liquid chlorine or bleach, as well as some stabilizer. You can buy bleach or Pool Store Shock - if you can get a good price. Stabilizer can be purchased at Wal-mart - look for the HTH brand in their pool aisle.

Hope this helps, post back if you need further clarification
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks I didn't know circulating made any difference. It will be tomorrow before i have it circulating for several hours. I will post then Thanks.
    Tysnest

18x33 AGP
    16000 gallons
    Waterford 1 1/2 HP/2speed
    Waterford High Rate Sand Filter 21 inch tank
    SunGrabber Solar Panels 3 2x20 ft panels
    New at this pool and clueless

4. Back To Top    #4

You are going to need CYA aka stabilizer.
    You are going to need FC aka bleach. (Pool Store calls it Sodium Hypochlorite or Liquid Chlorine)

Otherwise, let the stuff circulate a while and retest it. Then you won't be needing to add increaser and decreaser simultaneously. That combination is known as profit increaser.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!