Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PH rising rapidly 35 day old plaster, going to lower TA

1. Back To Top    #1

PH rising rapidly 35 day old plaster, going to lower TA

Plaster is about 35 days old now. I have put about 10 gallons of muriatic acid in already and it still comes right back up. Does this seem excessive? I'm going to try to lower the TA by aerating. Do you think my 3 24" waterfalls, spa spillway, and spa jets are enough to aerate, or should I make something that brings the returns up out of the water? Does it matter if I aerate all at once to get it done quickly, or can I just do it over several days through normal operation so I don't have to run the pump all night?

Thanks in advance!
    15,000 gallon gunite pool, grey plaster with 8' raised spa
    Jandy PlusHP Pump 2 HP Dual Speed
    Sta-Rite 450 Sq. ft. Cartridge Filter
    Cleva-Chlor RP40HD
    Raypak 400k btu heater
    Jandy Aqualink RS-8 One Touch
    Savi Melody 12v LED lights

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PH rising rapidly 35 day old plaster, going to lower TA

I imagine your new plaster and all of the aeration you get is responsible for the pH rise. TA is probably a minor effect, and just running the pool is going to lower it as you compensate for the plaster and aeration.

My bet is your pool will always be hard to control pH with all the aeration, but it should get better after the plaster gets a year or so on it.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

****, I was afraid to hear that. I'm spending more on acid than a junkie!
    Cleva-Chlor RP40HD
    Raypak 400k btu heater

4. Back To Top    #4

What is your TA?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

You should be almost done with the lots and lots of acid period. Fresh plaster typically raises the PH rapidly for about a month, and then more slowly for up to a year.

Your waterfalls are great for aeration.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I just tested the TA and it was acutally only 80 so I guess I wont be trying to lower it. I havnt checked it lately and thought it was higher. PH was back up to 8 or higher so I dumped in another gallon of 14.5% muriatic acid. Is Home Depot's price of $5 per gallon a decent price for that stuff or should I look elsewhere?
    Cleva-Chlor RP40HD
    Raypak 400k btu heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by n8scstm
    I just tested the TA and it was acutally only 80 so I guess I wont be trying to lower it. I havnt checked it lately and thought it was higher. PH was back up to 8 or higher so I dumped in another gallon of 14.5% muriatic acid. Is Home Depot's price of $5 per gallon a decent price for that stuff or should I look elsewhere?
    Get the 31.45% and you won't go through so much, and you can get it for less than $10 a gallon.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

8. Back To Top    #8

I get two gallons of 31.45 at Lowes for $10.92
    Geometric 16X36', 16K gal, shotcrete, exposed aggregate plaster, acrylic coated concrete deck/cantilever coping;
    Pentair equipment suite (EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, Intelliflo VS-3050, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG);
    Heliocol solar panels, Rocky's Roller, Blue Diamond robot

9. Back To Top    #9

The lowes by my house doesnt have the 31.45. They have the same 14.5 as HD for the same price. Any other ideas of where I can find the 31.45? I'm still using a gallon of acid everytime I turn on my waterfalls.
    Cleva-Chlor RP40HD
    Raypak 400k btu heater

10. Back To Top    #10

My neighborhood pool store has gallons of 31.45% for $4.25 so it is worth checking pool stores.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm going to try to lower the TA by aerating.
    Not to belabor the point, but aerating does not lower TA.
    Adding acid lowers the TA as well as the PH. Aerating just facilitates raising the PH back up.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

12. Back To Top    #12

If you know that turning off your waterfalls has the pH not rise as quickly, then you can lower your TA even further to reduce the pH rise effect from the waterfalls. I wouldn't go any lower than 50 ppm and you should try 60 ppm first, but if you lower the TA you'll need to raise the CH to compensate. In the short run, just see if the pH rise slows down when the pH is around 7.8 and the TA is lower. If it is, then you could adjust the CH later and target the pH down a bit.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Ohm_Boy
    I'm going to try to lower the TA by aerating.
    Not to belabor the point, but aerating does not lower TA.
    Adding acid lowers the TA as well as the PH. Aerating just facilitates raising the PH back up.
    I know. I meant lower the TA by using the aerating procedure as a whole. Wasn't just going to turn on the waterfalls.
    Cleva-Chlor RP40HD
    Raypak 400k btu heater

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    If you know that turning off your waterfalls has the pH not rise as quickly, then you can lower your TA even further to reduce the pH rise effect from the waterfalls. I wouldn't go any lower than 50 ppm and you should try 60 ppm first, but if you lower the TA you'll need to raise the CH to compensate. In the short run, just see if the pH rise slows down when the pH is around 7.8 and the TA is lower. If it is, then you could adjust the CH later and target the pH down a bit.
    Raise the CH in Southern California? I've never heard of having to do that here.
    Cleva-Chlor RP40HD
    Raypak 400k btu heater

15. Back To Top    #15

I was assuming that your saturation index wasn't already too high. You should use The Pool Calculator to see where you are at after you've adjusted the TA and the pH is stable where you want it. You are right that you may not need to adjust the CH if the saturation index is still OK.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by n8scstm
    Raise the CH in Southern California? I've never heard of having to do that here.
    Boy, ain't that the understatement of the year!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!