Chlorine burning off Slowwwwwly

May 28, 2010
My CYA is 75. Yes, I know it's high and this causes chlorine to burn off more slowly, correct?

I just want to make sure about this b/c between yesterday and today, my FC went down by only .5ppm (form 15.5 to 15). This just seems a little slow. The previous day, it had gone from 17.5 to 15.5 - but we also had rain during that 24 hour period.

I realize that the chlorine will burn off eventually, but I'm just impatient b/c we will be using the pool throughout the weekend.

frustratedpoolmom said:
Swim! That level is fine and harmless with a CYA of 75

:)
No kidding...we were swimming last week at 22-24 with CYA 55...no ill effects whatsoever...we swam almost the entire time I was shocking...causes a little backward progress but...we only have 4 months so...

As long as it is clear and not excessive CCs, we swim. So...if you were feeling 'chloreeny'...there may be something going on.

Edit: I hadn't read the ^ post until after I mentioned CCs....

niceguymr said:
duraleigh said:
Could have been a little less chloreeny
I'm curious about that. Tell me what it was that made it "chloreeny"

There's a certain smell & taste of the water when the chlorine is a little high. And also, the skin dryness is a little more when you get out of the water.
Curious. I've been in my pool with FC higher than that (CYA also higher) and can't smell anything. Nor does my skin feel dry or itchy afterwards. Hair, what's left of it, doesn't feel straw-like when it dries.

Now for the TFP Mantra: Can you post a full set of test results? :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
frustratedpoolmom said:
Hmmm. They look good!
I don't see anything to indicate why you would have a chlorine smell. Maybe you are more sensitive to it then me? :wink:

That's kinda what I was thinking. I'm going to retest everything again today just to make sure my results are consistent.

For what it's worth, I can smell chlorine on my skin after swimming at high FC (higher than normal, but not shock level). Not a CC smell; it smells just like bleach. I guess niceguymr and I have much sharper senses than the rest of you chumps!

If you sweat a reasonable amount, then at higher chlorine levels you can smell CC on your skin and that's monochloramine. If you don't sweat much, then you can sometimes smell the FC which smells like bleach.

The odor threshold for smelling chlorine in the air above the water is roughly an FC that is around 25% of the CYA level. For monochloramine, it's a CC level of around 0.6 ppm. On skin, evaporation will remove the water increasing the concentration of what is left so some people can smell chlorine on their skin even if the chlorine level in the pool is very low.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.