Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine burning off Slowwwwwly

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine burning off Slowwwwwly

My CYA is 75. Yes, I know it's high and this causes chlorine to burn off more slowly, correct?

I just want to make sure about this b/c between yesterday and today, my FC went down by only .5ppm (form 15.5 to 15). This just seems a little slow. The previous day, it had gone from 17.5 to 15.5 - but we also had rain during that 24 hour period.

I realize that the chlorine will burn off eventually, but I'm just impatient b/c we will be using the pool throughout the weekend.
    TFP SUPPORTER through TFTestKits.com - My Pool: South Florida, 11K gallons, In ground, concrete / Diamond Brite, Free Form with attached spa (no heater- go figure) Built around 1998, original surface, Jacuzzi Magnum Force 1.5HP pump, Jacuzzi Cartridge Filter, Rainbow 320 Tablet Feeder, Hayward Navigator Pro, Taylor K-2006 w/ TFTestKits replacemeng Reagents.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine burning off Slowwwwwly

Is the dial on your feeder on zero. Even if it is it could leak a little through it. With a CYA of 75 you're safe to swim with it at 15.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Is the dial on your feeder on zero. Even if it is it could leak a little through it. With a CYA of 75 you're safe to swim with it at 15.
    Yeah, I'm thinking there's probably a trickle coming through with the feeder, but it is set at zero.
    TFP SUPPORTER through TFTestKits.com - My Pool: South Florida, 11K gallons, In ground, concrete / Diamond Brite, Free Form with attached spa (no heater- go figure) Built around 1998, original surface, Jacuzzi Magnum Force 1.5HP pump, Jacuzzi Cartridge Filter, Rainbow 320 Tablet Feeder, Hayward Navigator Pro, Taylor K-2006 w/ TFTestKits replacemeng Reagents.

4. Back To Top    #4

Swim! That level is fine and harmless with a CYA of 75

Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom

No doubt, I just got out of the pool and it was . Could have been a little less chloreeny but nothing worth staying out of the pool for.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Could have been a little less chloreeny
    I'm curious about that. Tell me what it was that made it "chloreeny"
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

No kidding...we were swimming last week at 22-24 with CYA 55...no ill effects whatsoever...we swam almost the entire time I was shocking...causes a little backward progress but...we only have 4 months so...

As long as it is clear and not excessive CCs, we swim. So...if you were feeling 'chloreeny'...there may be something going on.

Edit: I hadn't read the ^ post until after I mentioned CCs....
    Backyard pool-less, but used to be.....
    16,100 gallon, 18x38 3.5 ft deep oval AG, Vinyl, Sand, 1hp pump
    http://www.poolservicestech.com Liquidator
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    http://www.tftestkits.net TFT100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    There's a certain smell & taste of the water when the chlorine is a little high. And also, the skin dryness is a little more when you get out of the water.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by niceguymr
    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    There's a certain smell & taste of the water when the chlorine is a little high. And also, the skin dryness is a little more when you get out of the water.
    Curious. I've been in my pool with FC higher than that (CYA also higher) and can't smell anything. Nor does my skin feel dry or itchy afterwards. Hair, what's left of it, doesn't feel straw-like when it dries.

Now for the TFP Mantra: Can you post a full set of test results?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Yeah, that smell is prob CCs... how high were they when you did the aforementioned testing?
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Like Richard, I have had my pool in very high FC conditions with no detectable differences from normal. Postiong a full set of test results will be helpful.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

Me too...never had drier skin or smell/taste.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Now for the TFP Mantra: Can you post a full set of test results?
    FC - 15
    CC - .5
    PH - 7.5
    TA - 90
    CH - 260
    CYA - 75

That was taken yesterday immediately after I went for a swim. (The CYA was tested a few days ago)

14. Back To Top    #14

Hmmm. They look good!
    I don't see anything to indicate why you would have a chlorine smell. Maybe you are more sensitive to it then me?

15. Back To Top    #15

Hmmm. They look good!
    I don't see anything to indicate why you would have a chlorine smell. Maybe you are more sensitive to it then me?
    That's kinda what I was thinking. I'm going to retest everything again today just to make sure my results are consistent.

16. Back To Top    #16

For what it's worth, I can smell chlorine on my skin after swimming at high FC (higher than normal, but not shock level). Not a CC smell; it smells just like bleach. I guess niceguymr and I have much sharper senses than the rest of you chumps!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

17. Back To Top    #17

If you sweat a reasonable amount, then at higher chlorine levels you can smell CC on your skin and that's monochloramine. If you don't sweat much, then you can sometimes smell the FC which smells like bleach.

The odor threshold for smelling chlorine in the air above the water is roughly an FC that is around 25% of the CYA level. For monochloramine, it's a CC level of around 0.6 ppm. On skin, evaporation will remove the water increasing the concentration of what is left so some people can smell chlorine on their skin even if the chlorine level in the pool is very low.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"