Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Autofill question

1. Back To Top    #1

Autofill question

Hello, my pool water level has dropped 1"-1 1/2" from normal, as indicated by the 'normal' calcium ring around the tiles. I was instructed to turn my autofill "nut" counterclockwise to reset and fill the pool. Is this correct, how does the autofill work? Oh and I cannot seem to turn the nut it is on very tight. The pool was recently re-plastered so I doubt it is due to any leaks. Thanks for any help. I'm a pool newbie.
    35,000 gal. Plaster, in-ground, Hayward swimclear C4025 cartridge filter,
    5 port polaris cleaning system, Hayward gas heater, spa.
    PhoeniX, AZ

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Autofill question

That sounds like a "toilet float" type autofill. If so then they probably told you correctly. If it's not then post a pic of it and we can give better advice.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, i think you are right, but how fast should it fill/correct itself. I was told I could flood my whole backyard if I was not careful. I last adjusted ~2hours and no change is visible, but like I said the nut is really tight. How do I know if its working?
    PhoeniX, AZ

4. Back To Top    #4

It should be pretty slow once close to full. Did they turn off a valve in the line to it somewhere?

If you push the float down does the water flow from it?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I think it's open, if you push down the float water does flow. is the nut supposed to be REALLY tight and hard to turn?
    PhoeniX, AZ

6. Back To Top    #6

Some them are really hard to turn and some of them have a jam nut that you need to loosen before you can turn the main one.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

The person I talked with called it a "flip-n-float" not sure if that is a brand name but it has a cylindrical white floater. Mine has a wing nut that I am assuming I need to turn more to the left, but when I try to adjust I cannot tell if it moved and the pool is definitely not filling at this point. I am concerned only because the water is about 1/4 of the way up the skimmer inflow, and I know it needs to be/should be 1/2 the way up. Not sucking air yet but am trying to avoid that problem.
    PhoeniX, AZ

8. Back To Top    #8

The flip-n-float is a toilet float. You lossen the arm bolt and adjust the float up or down. Does it look like this?

If it does you can just bend the arm up a little to adjust it. Be careful not to bend it too much.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok so it's ben a while since I adjusted the arm, bent it up a little. the pool was so slow to fill and last night the overfill area was ---overfilling! So I adjusted the arm down and the water level has receded in the overfill area. I am imagining I have a clog or some debris in the line into the pool. I will try to check this out today, but still have the problem of filling the pool back up. Just wanted to say thanks for your help and keep you posted on the new development, lol.
    PhoeniX, AZ