Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine Storage (Power Powder Pro)

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine Storage (Power Powder Pro)

I was really excited to clear up some space in the tool shed by moving my Leslie's Power Powder Pro Chlorine container over by the pool pump, in the sun for the last half of the day. My excitement was squashed when my Leslie's tech told me that the stuff is sensitive to heat and storing out in the sun is a bad bad idea. This is a popular commercial product that I swear I have seen the red top in pool trucks driving around all day in the 100 degree Texas heat. He seemed to express the fear of an explosion or fire due to heat and combustion.... Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Sincerely,
    Quinn
    Dallas, TX

24,000 Gallon Chlorine Pool
    In Ground Gunite
    Hayward Pro-Grid DE6020 D.E. Filter
    1.5 HP Hayward Northstar Pump
    Aquabot Robotic Pool Cleaner
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine Storage (Power Powder Pro)

Someone should be along shortly to advise why with more specifics. But in general no, we don't recommend outdoor storage of chems. dark, controlled temp areas are better. Many use sheds, in general. I don't store my chems outdoors.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

That's is what I thought I would hear. I'm planning to move them back this weekend. I am still curious on the what the dangers are.
    Sincerely,
    Quinn
    Dallas, TX

In Ground Gunite
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't really think that it would be dangerous. I probably still wouldn't do it though.

I remember reading somewhere on here that someone accidentally got a whole bucket of cal-hypo in their pool, and pushed their CH to somewhere above 1000!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

Power Powder Pro is 73% cal-hypo. 73% cal-hypo is probably the most dangerous compound allowed in a retail environment.

50% or higher Cal-hypo should not be allowed to go above 125 degrees. If it does it can decompose rapidly, releasing poisonous chlorine gas and losing it's effectiveness. It is also a class three oxidizer, posing dramatic risks in a fire. At substantially higher temperatures it can explode, though that requires way more heat than just sunlight.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Power Powder Pro is 73% cal-hypo. 73% cal-hypo is probably the most dangerous compound allowed in a retail environment.

50% or higher Cal-hypo should not be allowed to go above 125 degrees. If it does it can decompose rapidly, releasing poisonous chlorine gas and losing it's effectiveness. It is also a class three oxidizer, posing dramatic risks in a fire. At substantially higher temperatures it can explode, though that requires way more heat than just sunlight.
    Hmmm... Maybe I will leave it in the sun on one of our 110 degree days and measure it with my infrared thermometer to see if the bucket reaches 125 degrees... and tell the wife not to smoke by it. jk.. Thank you for your detailed and professional answer, sir.
    Sincerely,
    Quinn
    Dallas, TX

In Ground Gunite
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit