Hi and help!

Jun 9, 2010
Hi all,,,so happy to find an active help site,,,, :goodjob: had our pool for 4-5 yrs now,,and not really had any issues with it. I test everyday,,and not having troubles with that end,,,,we have been vaccuming and vaccuming,,,with a skimmer sock,,and it is catching what I "think" :hammer: is filter sand??? How do you know for sure??? Now this a.m. the hubby comes on and tells me he hears a rattling in the mutli port valve?

Ok, here is the whole story,,,last fall, I was injured and could not help with the closure of the pool. So,,I know it was not vaccumed,,,and "just closed",,for the season. I am in Illinois,,so we only have a about a 4 maybe 5 month swimming season,,we bring the pump in the house, and leave the filter outside, well drained. I went out and looked under the cover this Spring,,and the water looked great nice and clear,,,though there was ALOT of debris on the bottom,,leaves and waht looked like scale from the big trees that are in our valley.Gritty stuff that would disappear when rubbed between the fingers. I shocked and and then brushed and kept the FC level up till all green was grey,,,then we started vaccuming. Now this....please really need help,,as my daughter is having her 8th grade grad party here and they really want to swim....help. Thank you in advance Heidi

AG 24 ft
13,500 gal
sand filter
chlorine

Welcome to TFP!

If you are getting sand in the pool, the most common culprit is a broken lateral in the sand filter. You can check this by taking a sock (knee high hose works better) and holding it over the return when you fire the pump up. It will catch whatever sand flows out and you can confirm the problem that way. If it doesn't feel or look like sand once you have it close up and in your hand, it may be algae or pollen.

Welcome to TFP.

Filter sand is a fairly light "blonde" color and is coarser than most soils in the middle of the US.

Rattling in the multiport is usually from air in the filter. Likely you have an O-ring on the strainer basket lid or drain plug that is missing, cracked or needs lubed. Take a picture of your pump and valves and maybe somebody can point out likely spots for a leak.

Thank you guys!! I will go out "feel" the stuff again,,,I felt it yesterday,,and at first I said sand,,,but then it again,,I wasn't sure,,,,it will feel a tad bit gritty at first,,,then not so much.. Dumb answer huh?? but,,,,I will go and collect some with a sock and report back,,,,also I want to hear the noise hubby is hearing. I will also look and find out excatly what type of filter and pump we have and post that info as well.

That "blonde" color has me worried,,as the stuff collected was almost that color,,,more towards the whiter end of the blonde,,,,but very very very fine,,,and thought it did rub away when rubbed in my fingers....I will go and get more info for you excellent people.

Thank you so much for being here!!!!! be right back,,,,Heidi

We have a 20 purex Triton meteor sand filter,,with a 1.5 hp Waterway pump. No noise as of now,,,,and I looked for leaks,,,and all is dry. When we are vaccuming,,,it doesn't take but a of couple of say,,,,2 sweeps,,about 4-6 foot long sweeps and the pressure is DOWN to nothing. So then we clean out the skimmer sock,,and get another couple of sweeps,,then back to no pressure. It is then we find the stuff collected in the sock,,,,being sucked up from the bottom. I truly hope it is a real load of pollen and dead algae,,,,,,,,,not sand. I did find a bit on the ground from yesterday and it does look like blonde sand,,,all be it,,,very very fine.

Would the sand continue to flow out the return on filter setting? Or just at the first fire up after backwashing? The strainer pot is full of water & dry on the outside. No bubbles coming from the return. Pressure is normal on new gauge,,,I replace it every year,,,they don't last. I am trying to find camera to post some pics for you. Return flow is great. Anything else I can provide you all with??? We have been getting TONS of rain,,,a tornado on 6/5/10 about a half mile down the road,,,but loads and loads of rain. I am just trying to give you guys the most info I can think of,,,,,,got to find that camera.

Never had a pool up till 2006 and we did everything ourselves,,,tore it down at G-ma's and then put it up here. New liner,,new pump,,,couple of wall posts,,,and all has been great till now. I use a Taylor test kit,,,,love being so accurate.

When hubby gets off tractor,,,I will post more info on noise and do the sock test again. Thanks so much!!!!!!!

It was pollen and dead algae!!! Softball season is finally over,,,love to coach. Though it takes quite a bit of your life during the summer,,,it was a great season. Pool looks and feels great. Just wanted to come back and thank you for being here and answering my questions. I tell anyone who asks about issues with their pools to come here. Thanks again so very much,,Heidi : )