brown stain around bottom perimeter

Jun 10, 2010
I have a brown stain around some of the bottom perimeter where the sides meet the bottom of my inground pool. I tried the vitamin c tabs and that had no effect. I tried super shocking which had no effect. Pump runs overnight unless we are swimming. In the morning the stain is not noticeable but there. Once day begins and sun comes up over the house the stains really pop out. The stain reminds me of a water stain on the ceiling from a roof leak. Current readings are FC=2, PH=6.4, TA=80, CH=100, CYA is pretty much 0. But, adjusting chemicals over the last couple weeks has had no effect. We do use a minimax 100 heater. Can't make determination if organic, metal, or something under liner. Stain appeared last season, but not in any way as prolific as it is now and didn't last long. It wasnt there when we first opened pool this season. Could it have been caused by heavy rain that put water to and over top of liner? Turning on the heater? Warmer temps outside? And how can I get rid of it? thanks. K. Brodie. Staunton, IL

I would get your pH up (at least 7.2), and get some CYA in the pool first...

Then do an over night chlorine loss test.

If you are loosing chlorine overnight, shock until you are no longer loosing it over night.

I have a similar sounding stain this year. I dropped a puck on in and in about 2 hours, the stain faded where the puck was. Over the last few weeks, it has been fading by keeping my chlorine levels a tad higher. With vinyl... don't know if that's a good idea or not.

I'd be happy to provide specifics if you would like.

If the vitamin C test didn't work, then it is probably an organic stain of some kind. Like you said though, it would be tough to determine if the stain is on the inside or the outside. Have you tried placing a chlorine tablet on it for a few minutes to see if it lightens? If it does, then it is on the water side of the liner. If it doesn't then it is probably on the outside of the liner but is showing through somehow.

I agree with waskydiver that you really need to get that pH up quickly and get some CYA in your pool. Without the CYA in there, it would make it tough to shock since the chlorine won't stick around for more than an hour or so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.