Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TF100 results question

1. Back To Top    #1

TF100 results question

Just checked my water after tons of rain over the past 2 days. FC came up as 3. Decided to check for CC, I added the 5 drops of R-003 back to the solution and it turned pink. I then added 2 drops of the R-0871 before it went clear again. Does this mean that I have 1(ONE) part cc or .1(point 1) part CC? Is it time to shock if it is 1 (ONE) part total? The way I'm understanding it, if the upper limit of CC recommended here is .5 before shocking, even if you have to add just one drop to turn the pink solution back clear it's time to shock as you are already at .5 Thanks in advance guys.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TF100 results question

My understanding if you are at .5 or under no shocking is necessary.

I would post a full set of results so the pros here can better help.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    Just checked my water after tons of rain over the past 2 days. FC came up as 3. Decided to check for CC, I added the 5 drops of R-003 back to the solution and it turned pink. I then added 2 drops of the R-0871 before it went clear again. Does this mean that I have 1(ONE) part cc or .1(point 1) part CC? Is it time to shock if it is 1 (ONE) part total? The way I'm understanding it, if the upper limit of CC recommended here is .5 before shocking, even if you have to add just one drop to turn the pink solution back clear it's time to shock as you are already at .5 Thanks in advance guys.
    It depends if you're using 10 or 25 ml sample.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

2 drops of the R-0871 after the R-0003 in a 10ml sample means a CC of 1 and you need to shock. Mynewpool is right anything more than .5 CC is shocking time!

A full set of numbers would be nice too.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I used a 10 ml sample------the same one used for the FC test. Don't even see anything about using a larger sample. So you guys are saying even if you have to add only ONE drop of R-0871 to turn the solution back to clear that you're already at the CC max of .5 for shocking? That seems awfully sensitive to me and it also means you can't measure any CC lower than .5
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

You can measure down to .2 but that isn't usually needed and uses a lot more reagent. If you want to knw how you can search for test kit instructions on one page and it steps through how to do it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    I used a 10 ml sample------the same one used for the FC test. Don't even see anything about using a larger sample. So you guys are saying even if you have to add only ONE drop of R-0871 to turn the solution back to clear that you're already at the CC max of .5 for shocking? That seems awfully sensitive to me and it also means you can't measure any CC lower than .5
    From my understanding if you use the 10 mL sample and the instructions on the kit, 1 drop of R-0871 to turn back clear gives you a .5. If you have to add more than one drop you are above the .5.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

8. Back To Top    #8

If one drop turns it clear during the CC test, your CC is <= 0.5.
    I think the criterion for shocking is if CC is > 0.5, i.e. it takes more than one drop.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page