Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar cover?

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar cover?

Trying to figure out of blue vs clear is better?
    8mil vs 12 vs 16 is better?

I have a 18ft AGP with a 4x20 Solar panel hooked to pool.

SolarCovers.com recommended a 16 mill blue cover for my pool.
    Would there be much difference in the 12 mil vs 16 mill besides the $35 difference in price?
    K HOLMES

23 X 45 GUNNITE
    OWNER/BUILDER

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar cover?

The 16 will be a little heavier than the 12, and both heavier than the 8. The 12 and 16 will last longer than the 8, presumably. Clear vs blue is a personal choice IMO, I go with blue.
    40 x 16 IG Vinyl. Goldline SWG
    160 Sq Ft Roof mounted solar array
    2014 Hydropool Serenity 5000 Hot Tub
    The Pool School- A great place to start
    Jason's Pool calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

I have the 16 gauge and it is a big bulky heavy thing to put on and off. It works very well at keeping heat in though. A fair trade off, But it sure is a pita to put on and off. I am considering cutting it in half.
    26x16 rockwood keyhole vynil inground, waterway cartridge filter and swg, variable speed pentair pump, extra large skimmer with 2 main drains in deep end and 2 returns,Rheem raypack 206 natural gas heater, hayward tigershark qc robot. Being installed in late may early june. Woot!

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a 12mil clear because supposedly it allows the pool to gain heat if left on during the day. It's heavy and if we didn't have a reel it would be a real pain to don and doff. I can imagine that a 16mil cover would be even worse.

As for colors the dark colors are supposed to help with FC loss when they're on and I can attest that the clear cover makes no difference in the amount of FC I lose during the day when it's on.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I can attest to the dark blue holding in chlorine. I have to monitor because if i don't the pool go's into shock with the pool tab chlorinator.
    26x16 rockwood keyhole vynil inground, waterway cartridge filter and swg, variable speed pentair pump, extra large skimmer with 2 main drains in deep end and 2 returns,Rheem raypack 206 natural gas heater, hayward tigershark qc robot. Being installed in late may early june. Woot!

6. Back To Top    #6

If you do not have a reel, then I would think the 8mil would be fine,,,easier to get off. I have a 12mil with a reel system. The 12mil cover rolls up nicer then the 8mil did.

My cover is blue for two reasons:
    1- Cuts the FC loss from the sun.
    2- Rather look at fake blue water then clear bubble wrap.

I believe the main advantage of the solar cover is to help stop the evaporation and keep the heat in.
    Joe

21k IG vinyl, 300 lb. sand filter, 1hp pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, 3/4hp booster pump, 240sq ft Fafco solar, Liquidator

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks everyone.
    I order the 12 mil Blue cover.

Since the only chlorine i use is the shock i like the cover help keeping all the chlorine in the pool.
    K HOLMES

23 X 45 GUNNITE
    OWNER/BUILDER

8. Back To Top    #8

I prefer the clear. Seems to heat the pool a little quicker. Blue is like putting a shade over your pool.
    xrayman- 8300 gal. inground, SWG, Jandy Digital LED light

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by hanau
    Since the only chlorine i use is the shock i like the cover help keeping all the chlorine in the pool.
    I hope I'm reading this wrong! How do you normally chlorinate your pool? In order to have a sanitary pool you have to have your FC above the minimum level for your CYA all the time. Even a cover won't protect the FC but so much.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

10. Back To Top    #10

hello,
    how much of a temp rise do you see in pool with a solar cover?
    thanks,
    mike
    Above ground 33 ft round 52 in. high
    Approx. 25000 gallons
    Hayward Dreamline Sand filter holds 250lbs sand
    Hayward CL-200 chlorinator
    Hayward 1.5 hp 67 GPM pump

11. Back To Top    #11

Mike, it depends. Since a solar cover works by preventing evaporation, areas with lots of evaporation will see a much greater temp increase than areas with little evaporation. Here in Tucson, I get about 15 degrees using the solar cover! I think that is about the maximum; most areas are not so hot and dry so will have much less of an increase.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

12. Back To Top    #12

I wanted to add here, my cover looks awful after a week. Between dust, pollen, and bird poop I have to clean it waaay more than I anticipated. Anyone else have this problem? I cut it into 3 pieces so I can hose/brush it in the driveway. It is easier to handle, but now sometimes the wind blows it around and pushed it into a corner.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

13. Back To Top    #13

yup...every two weeks or so (before rain is expected), I put a 50/50 mix of bleach/water in my lawn sprayer and spray the solar cover...keeps it nice and blue and kills any lurking algae
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Quote Originally Posted by hanau
    I hope I'm reading this wrong! How do you normally chlorinate your pool? In order to have a sanitary pool you have to have your FC above the minimum level for your CYA all the time. Even a cover won't protect the FC but so much.
    only thing i do to mine is add about a 1/2 lb of shock( i do this about every 2-3 days) to my pool and occasionally adj the ph.
    I use test strips and also use the drops that test the ph and chlorine.

Pool stays clear, no algae, no slimy feeling on the pool bottom or sides.and about once a month i take a water sample to the store and have it tested.

So don't know if i am doing something wrong? Been treating my pools like this for a couple years.
    K HOLMES

23 X 45 GUNNITE
    OWNER/BUILDER

15. Back To Top    #15

What's the ingredients in the shock you're using?

I recommend getting a good test kit and read pool school.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

The way I keep our cover clean is as I'm rolling it up on the reel, I use the hose to spray it off. I'll roll it up a couple of feet, then stop and spray a section off, and then continue until it's all rolled up.

I've found that my solar cover doesn't really heat up the water during the day very much, but makes a big difference at night as it holds the heat in (and keeps most of the bugs out).
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)