infinity pool problem

Jun 11, 2010
hi i have been asked to look after an infinity pool for a friend.it has a salt water chlorinator. when i first looked at it the pool was green and black and the machine was not working right.after adding the correct ammount of salt 200kg. the machine was reset and the ph set right.after this the pool cleared and was fine,but no one was using it so the overflowing of the infinity was not an issue,but now the pool is ready for summer and the first guest arrived.3 days before they arrived i checked the salt level and topped it up with 1/2 bag and that was fine. i went away for a week and when i returned the pool was going green and cloudy and the machine had failed. when i checked the salt level it was zero. it then came out that the guest had tried to get the infinity part working and put the hose on all day so had washed the salt out. there are no leaks in the trough ,so it appears the water is going into the tank and not coming back.according to one of your posts it should have 2 pumps but it hasnt. is there anyone that deals with these pools more than me.i only look after it to learn a bit more.the pool is 6m by 4m and 1 1/2m deep. thanks paul

Hi Paul
So you're saying the pool overflowed into the infinity trough but rather than recirculate back into the pool - that water went elsewhere? So all the chems are now off from the hose/fresh water replacement?

I would think with that much water leaving the pool you would see evidence somewhere? (I'm not familiar with these type of pools just trying to get a better feel for the situation.)

We can help you get the main pool clear without the SWCG but you should probably figure out the infinity situation too so there isn't a repeat of the situation.

Can you post a full set of test results and tell us how you test the water?

Also where are you located?

The salt did not "go away", and it is very realistic that you are either not running the pump long enough to create sufficient amounts of chlorine via the SWCG or that it is not operating/is calcified. You need to post real levels of the water (I am wondering how you are measuring salt) to get an accurate assessment of what is happening and how to fix it.

I this a pool with a spa, or just a pool? The V-Edge doesn't make it that much different than a regular pool. It is possible that you could overflow the trough, but it would take some work. Any chance that you could post some pics of the pool and equipment area?

If this is a pool only, one pump will work just fine (although I would still like to see two!). Please get us some more information and I'm sure we can get you back in business!

simicrintz said:
The salt did not "go away", and it is very realistic that you are either not running the pump long enough to create sufficient amounts of chlorine via the SWCG or that it is not operating/is calcified. You need to post real levels of the water (I am wondering how you are measuring salt) to get an accurate assessment of what is happening and how to fix it.

I this a pool with a spa, or just a pool? The V-Edge doesn't make it that much different than a regular pool. It is possible that you could overflow the trough, but it would take some work. Any chance that you could post some pics of the pool and equipment area?

If this is a pool only, one pump will work just fine (although I would still like to see two!). Please get us some more information and I'm sure we can get you back in business!

hi,i am afraid the salt has gone away,as i have tested it with aquachec salt testers before and after.at first when i started cleaning pool the reading was zero.after adding the salt i got the level to4700 ppm and after the client came which was a week later i tested again and the reading was 690 in 3 parts of the pool. the filter and chlorinator are on constantly at present as we have temperatures of 36 degrees c at moment. there is no cal in unit as the guy has a water softener.
but since posting i have now found the large tank that is for refilling the infinity,which i did not know existed,it was full to the top and has an overflow pipe so it looks like it dumps out extra water.when i tested this water it was higher in salt than the pool.after lots of experimenting with the valves i finally got them to a position to move water from there abut not empty it,but it appears far from satisfactory as you have to virtually turn off the bottom valve to the pool to get this movement.surely this will cause flow problems in the pool? also the tiling on the infinity is so poor that it only pours over in two places. thanks for your time paul

So you found the surge tank; good! It sounds like the pool water was emptying in to the surge tank, which is why the salt "went away" (salt never really goes away, but it can go somewhere else :-D ).

Sounds like you are getting a handle on it. Good job!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.