Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Penter IntelliFlo and automation of pumps and draining

1. Back To Top    #1

Penter IntelliFlo and automation of pumps and draining

Hello all. I am looking for some advice regarding the Pentair IntelliFlo pumps and SunTouch. Is the SunTouch able to ramp up the speed of the VS 3050 pump during the middle of a cycle? Say it is running 1000 RPM, can the SunTouch bump it up to 1500 RPM for a set amount of time and then back down to 1000 RPM? Are there automation systems by other manufacturers that can do this?

I am also curious what solutions there are for automated pool draining. I don't need the automation to decide when to drain, I would just like to be able to press a button from inside the house during rainy season to start and stop the draining. There is a currently a hose bib which has to be manually opened to start draining. It is a real pain, especially when it is pouring and muddy. I am wondering an electric sprinkler valve would do the trick.

Any help is much appreciated.
    20,000 gallons. 1HP Hayward. 280 Polaris with booster. Hayward cartridge filter. 1 1/2HP Hayward to run waterfall/heater and who knows what else it is hooked to. Still learning what all the valves control. :(

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Penter IntelliFlo and automation of pumps and draining

Quote Originally Posted by MikeGyver
    I am also curious what solutions there are for automated pool draining. I don't need the automation to decide when to drain, I would just like to be able to press a button from inside the house during rainy season to start and stop the draining.
    Rainy season? You're in California, man! We don't have a rainy season! You're blowing the illusion of 365 days of sunshine, sandy beaches, palm trees and balmy breezes!

Next you'll tell me Santa Claus isn't real

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm somewhat curious about what the SunTouch control can do with the VS3050 also, like Mike's question above.

Can the SunTouch control run the Intelliflo VS at 1000rpm for a period. Then run it at 1500 for another period?
    40 x 16 (28k gallon) plaster pool, Intelliflo VF pump, Hayward 48 sq. ft. DE filter, using Purifiber, using BBB, TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, the SunTouch can change the speed. Speeds are associated with circuits, so for example the pump can change speed any time AUX1 is on.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School