And we're off and running .....

GCS

Jul 28, 2008
Got the electrical done when I got home and fired up the system.

After about 2-3 hours of circulation at full speed on the 1HP Hayward Matrix 2 speed pump I gave her a test:

FC = 0 (expected of course)
pH = 7.5 (nice start)
T/A = 30 (not bad but could be better)
CH = 50 (that'll work but should be a tad higher)
CYA = 0 (expected of course)
Temp = a balmy 64 degrees LOL

All in all not a bad start.

Added the proper amount of bleach and 3 hours later she is at 4. We'll see how much it dips by the AM (a lot I would assume with no CYA)
Added what CYA I had (about 1 cup of the 12 cups I need) but will head up to WM as soon as the wife gets home so I can the remainder and get that up
No Baking Soda on hand so I will need to grab some of that as well

Will retest in the AM and when I get home from work tomorrow. CYA I will check on in about a week to see where I am. Hopefully by that time my SWG will be here and I can get that going.

Funny thing is I bought 6 cases (2 per case) of the warehouse store bleach tonight thinking I would need A LOT since this has so many more gallons then my old Intex but alas I only needed 1 jug for now. I am sure I will go through several more before I am stabilized.

Greg

Hi, Greg,

Let's get on the same page first....I may be overlooking something but it seems that pool is about 17k and it would take about 5.5 lbs of CYA to just get to 40. The 12 ounces you calculated has me confused.

Well the pool calc said 100oz (I am estimating about 18k gallons as the pool is fairly full (just over 1/2 way up the skimmer so I am estimating about 49inches or so of height).

I search for ounces to cups measurements and it said 12.5 cups for that amount. I measured out what I had an it was 1 cup worth of powdered CYA.

N/M I just saw my typo. It should say 1 cup and 12 cups instead of 1 ounce and 12 ounces -- duhh!

My fault.

Greg

Don't worry about the chlorine you will use it all in time and not waste a drop.

The TA is pretty low. I'd put enough in to get to 60-70

Assuming your water is clear, everything else looks pretty good. You'll lose most of your FC from tomorrow's sun but keep replenishing it daily until you get enough CYA in the pool to get to 40ppm.

Yep that was the plan. Test at least twice a day and keep the FC up to 4 all the time.

Wife is being kind enough to shag me some CYA and Baking Soda at Wal-Mart on the way home from church!

Greg

EDIT - Yes the water is nice and clear sans the small amount of debris that has fallen in and some sand and dirt at the bottom from the build and the work done in the yard - nothing major.

Alrighty CYA and Baking Soda are in, I'll check the readings tomorrow before I head off to work.

Alright she tested out ok this AM and we will recheck when I get home from work

FC - 2 (added some more bleach)
pH - 7.5 (yay!)
T/A = 50 (just a tad higher please)
CH = 50
CYA = 0 (expected of course)
Temp = 60 degrees

Going along nice and smooth for now. All CYA has dissolved from the skimmer sock I used so when I get home I'll dial down the pump to low speed and see how we do from there.

Greg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.