Pump issues?????

hawkeyes

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 25, 2010
Dallas, TX
So apparently I did a really stupid thing and decided to fiddle with my pump speeds. I haven't touched anything since the PB set it all and after reading the Pentair website today, I decided I wanted to try lowering my Intelliflo VSP. The prior configurations had the pool set to a speed of 2350, cleaner 2500, Spa 3000 and Air Blower 3300. Those were the only 4 set pump circuits. I have a fountain in the spa that leads to a spillway into the pool---that's my only water feature. I turned the pump down to 1800 and everything shut off and the red "no flow" light on the Intellichlor went on and status said "blocked". I bumped it up to 2000 and it kicked on but when the fountain started ramping up (it always dials up and then comes back down to the pre-set location) it all shut off again and the red light came back on. I freaked out and put everything back to where the PB had it. Started it back up and everything seems fine EXCEPT now the return jets have air bubbles and gurgling sounds coming out of them. Good Lord WHAT HAVE I DONE!??!!? Aside from turning everything off and pouring myself a glass of wine, I don't know what to do now!

Can I not run my pump at a lower speed with this water feature? Why do I now have air bubbles and gurgling in my return jets? Seriously....I need more wine. HELP!!! :shaking:

I currently believe it is related to my D.E. Filter. The plate on the filter says I need 6 pounds of DE and I buy it in 6 pound bags. I think when I opened my pool this year I had to backwash the next day and then again 2 weeks later. Both times I added 6 pounds. I am thinking that I have too much DE and "other stuff" in there. I never took apart the filter (the PB opens and closes for me) so I am hoping that I do not have to do it or if I do someone can walk we through the process. A few folks are trying to help me on the thread I reference so i am hoping someone here and figure it out for me.

Yes, I would love to share some wine!!! (but I might need something stronger! :) )

Since the return jets have air coming out of them it sounds like you have a suction side leak. Check all your skimmers for proper operation and check your pump strainer basket lid for leaks. Tell us if there is air in the pump basket.

Bama Rambler said:
Since the return jets have air coming out of them it sounds like you have a suction side leak. Check all your skimmers for proper operation and check your pump strainer basket lid for leaks. Tell us if there is air in the pump basket.

Skimmers seem to be operating fine and I see no leaks in the pump basket lid. However, I always see a few bubbles when I look in the pump basket when it's running---I thought that was just water circulating....is it not?

There should be virtually no bubbles in the pump basket. Sometimes there may be one small bubble in the top but if there are bubbles in it then you have an air leak somewhere. The most common places are the skimmer weir(s) sticking causing the skimmer to create a vortex thereby sucking air in the system, low water level in the pool will cause the same thing, or the pump basket lid leaking and usually lubing the lid o-ring will rectify that problem. If it's none of those it's probalby a plumbing leak.

What is your filter pressure at 2000 RPM and/or 2350 RPM? Also, are the bubbles you see larger or smaller than a pea?

Pressure at 2350 is 14. Bubbles are larger than a pea and I can hear that jet gurgling. The bubbles come out in spurts. There is only one jet I see this with---the others are fine.

Pump basket has one decent size bubble at the top right under the lid. I see 1 other bubble that is small. I did just empty this basket the other day and it was filled with quite a bit of crud (looked almost like clear/white pieces of grass that were stuck all over in the holes of the basket?????). I thought maybe I didn't get the lid back on right but I've taken it off and put it back on twice and it hasn't helped.

Guess I will call warranty people as they also need to come look at why my salt reading on the EasyTouch is so much higher than what Leslie's says.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.