Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Orange-brown stains on the bottom of the deep end

1. Back To Top    #1

Orange-brown stains on the bottom of the deep end

I have the same colored stains in the deepend. They tested negative with the Vit C tabs. Now what?
    "Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy." -B. Franklin

In-ground, vinyl lined, 20'x40', 3-10' deep, solar heater, sand filter, 3/4hp pump, Dolphin Pro, Cover Star Auto Cover.

A proud BBB convert.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Orange-brown stains on the bottom of the deep end

Disregard my previous post, I let the tablets sit on the stain for about 15 min, didn't see any reaction. Took the kids swimming and looked after about 30 more min...the stain was completely gone where the tabs were. The stains only take up an area of about 2sq/ft. I'm just going to spot treat the stains with Vit C tabs under clingwrap and some weight around the edge of the clingwrap. can't see treating the whole 40k gal for a few spots.

In-ground, vinyl lined, 20'x40', 3-10' deep, solar heater, sand filter, 3/4hp pump, Dolphin Pro, Cover Star Auto Cover.

A proud BBB convert.

3. Back To Top    #3

DLO, putting the Vitamin C tabs in a sock may work and be easier to handle. If you try the clingwrap, let us know if it works! New tricks are always worth hearing and passing along to the next folks...
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

A sock. Another great idea MITS....maybe a hybrid of the two; sock under the plastic wrap to retard the ascorbic acid being dissolved and carried away tward the pool water. I'll try to put the tabs in a sock, cover it with plastic wrap, cover the perimeter with my dry suit ankle weights. I'll let you know how it works. (Kind of makes me want to buy a submersible case for my video camera )

A proud BBB convert.

5. Back To Top    #5

Here's what I'm going to use. I commandeered a pair of hose from the wife, being smart enough to leave the thigh highs in pristine condition . Cut both legs off, filling one with pea gravel and using the other leg as a second layer, hopefully preventing a rupture and gravel in the deep end. I'll put the Vit C tabs in the sock with the plastic wrap over the sock, with the perimeter weight sealing the edge. I used the hose/pea gravel as the perimeter weight because it can be easily moulded, lengthed or shortened to fit the stain. I'm pretty sure it's going to work well.....I'll let you know.

A proud BBB convert.

6. Back To Top    #6

Worked perfectly. Was able to remove about 2.5-3.0 sq/ft of iron stain with a handful of Vit C tabs. The plastic wrap worked like a charm to prevent AA loss to the water.

A proud BBB convert.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for that tip for spot removal of stains. A great idea.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"