Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Have SWG and my first Semi-cloudy Water

1. Back To Top    #1

Have SWG and my first Semi-cloudy Water

OK Pool experts....I have had some great success over the past two years with crystal clear water....today that changed. I walked down to my pool as saw the start of some cloudy water....FC is about 2.5, but PH is kind of high 8.2. Is that diminishing the chlorine? What should I do?
    B
    Ben T
    2001 Fort Wayne In Ground 18x36 Rectangle - 22,300 Gallons - Vinyl Liner -Raypak RP2100 400K BTU Gas Heater - Jacuzzi 3/4 HP Sygnet Pump - 225L Sand Filter - Aqua Rite 40K Gallon SWG (Installed June 2009).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Have SWG and my first Semi-cloudy Water

First thing I'd do is get your pH down. If your CH is high you probably have calcium clouding with your pH that high. Post a full set of numbers and we will have a better idea if that's the case. Also while you're at it, raise your FC up a bit.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks. CYA: 60, Alk: 150 FC: 2.5 pH:8.2
    Ben T
    2001 Fort Wayne In Ground 18x36 Rectangle - 22,300 Gallons - Vinyl Liner -Raypak RP2100 400K BTU Gas Heater - Jacuzzi 3/4 HP Sygnet Pump - 225L Sand Filter - Aqua Rite 40K Gallon SWG (Installed June 2009).

4. Back To Top    #4

Lower the PH to 7.2 with Muratic Acid,
    what is your CH level?
    It's very possible this is organic in nature - you should turn off the SWG and do an overnight FC loss test.
    How are you testing the water?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Benttt...how are you testing the water? Any CC's to report? 2.5 on your FC is kind of low for CYA of 60. 3ppm should be your minimum on FC.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm using strips and estimating based on color ranges....going to pool store for printout
    Ben T

7. Back To Top    #7

While the Pool Store is better than strips (maybe), which is only slightly better than nothing, it's nowhere near having your own good test kit. You'll have a much better handle on things with your own kit. See the link in my sig for the one I highly recommend.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit