Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need advice on Replacement Skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Eden Prairie, MN

Need advice on Replacement Skimmer

Hi. I had to bypass the underground skimmer line because of an underground leak. I bypassed it using an aboveground pipe. Everything works fine except losing the skimmer now results in too many surface floaties in this area of the pool. I realize I need a skimmer here.

Is there an after market skimmer to hook up into the pipe? Can I make one myself?

Also, the unused skimmer now has stagnant water in it because there is no flow in and out. How do I seal up the old skimmer? Thanks a lot.

AGP partially buried, with surrounding deck and flower bed. 12 x 24 oval x 48" deep Celebration by Forum. Steel sides, vinyl liner. Hayward 2 HP sand pump. Flower fountain - works well to cool water up to 10 degrees.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Need advice on Replacement Skimmer

You could use a Poolskim. It connects to a return, but takes care of surface debris like a skimmer.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Indiana

Re: Need advice on Replacement Skimmer

It looks to me like your skimmer is only a foot or so away from the edge of the deck. You can probably dig under there and re-plumb it to take care of all the problems. Doesn't look like a huge job unless the pipe run is long.

Having that uncapped pipe connected to the suction side of your skimmer could be very dangerous to a small child, as it could trap them to the pipe and if they weren't able to stand up they could be held under water.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat