Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Green Tinted water

1. Back To Top    #1

Green Tinted water

I opened my 18x34 in ground pool last friday and had a decent algae build up. After shocking, and adding algecide and continuosly running the filter it has been clearing up/becoming less cloudy day by day. On Monday i added soda ash, conditioner and water clarifier as well as 5 1lb bags of granular chlorine. I watched my clear water turn into clear but tinted green water in a matter of two minutes. My biggest mistake was probably adding all the chemicals at once, won't do that again. Since then the water continues to get clearer ( i can now see the floor in the deep end) but the green tint remains. I have read in some places that this may be oxidized copper in the water. Wanted to see if anyone else had similair experiences and if their is an easy fix.
    12,500 Gal In Ground Plaster, Zodiac lm2-24 SWG, Cartridge Filter, Attached spa, Waterfall, Phoenix AZ

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Green Tinted water

A sudden clear transparent green when you add chlorine means there is either iron or copper in the water. The best thing to do is to add a startup dose of sequestrant.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Copper in the algecide?
    coloeb,
    20k gal. IG fiberglass/plaster rectangle 32'x16'
    Hayward Superpump 3/4 H.P. primary Hayward model 5060 Booster Pump
    Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter
    Pentair Model 320 automatic Chlorine/bromine in-line feeder

4. Back To Top    #4

I put in metal out last evening and much less green this morning. Thanks so much.
    12,500 Gal In Ground Plaster, Zodiac lm2-24 SWG, Cartridge Filter, Attached spa, Waterfall, Phoenix AZ