Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tips on installing new pump needed

1. Back To Top    #1

Tips on installing new pump needed

I'm replacing my old pump and was looking for some tips to make the process go a bit smoother and dryer. Right now nothing is plumbed with valves. It is plumped with a flex hose from the skimmer to the pump, then from the pump it goes to the filter, and then out to the return in the pool. I figure with the skimmer to pump hose, I can unhook that and promptly put the flex hose in the pool leaving me with minimal wetness. Any other tips for staying dry are welcome.

I also ordered two valves (http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Equipment ... all-Valve/) , but am not sure where to connect them. Should I install one at the pump, or the skimmer base? Also, should the other be at the filter end or the pool end? What other parts would I need to do this correctly-ie, will the unions just screw in to the pump (Powerflo Matrix) and the filter (Hayward s180t).

Thanks!
    24' Round 14K Gallons
    Hayward S180t Sand Filter
    1hp Hayward Powerflo Matrix Pump
    Aquabot Pool Rover Jr.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tips on installing new pump needed

Here's how I would do it. I'd install one of the valves near the skimmer and the other one near the return. Then I'd install a union near the pump suction and one near the filter discharge. That would make any future maintenance easy.

To keep the water loss/flow to a minimum this time you can buy rubber sink stoppers at your local Wally-World or home center stores and plug the skimmer and return line so you don't lose a lot of water when you remove the hoses. You could also use winterizing plugs if you have them.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Here's how I would do it. I'd install one of the valves near the skimmer and the other one near the return. Then I'd install a union near the pump suction and one near the filter discharge. That would make any future maintenance easy.

To keep the water loss/flow to a minimum this time you can buy rubber sink stoppers at your local Wally-World or home center stores and plug the skimmer and return line so you don't lose a lot of water when you remove the hoses. You could also use winterizing plugs if you have them.
    Thanks for the tip! When you say a union, what do you mean? Picture would be great iof possible
    24' Round 14K Gallons
    Aquabot Pool Rover Jr.

4. Back To Top    #4

coloeb,
    20k gal. IG fiberglass/plaster rectangle 32'x16'
    Hayward Superpump 3/4 H.P. primary Hayward model 5060 Booster Pump
    Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter
    Pentair Model 320 automatic Chlorine/bromine in-line feeder

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks!
    24' Round 14K Gallons
    Aquabot Pool Rover Jr.

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok...another stupid question. I have the valves and I have the unions (proper ones as listed from HD). I am using clear tubing everywhere except the skimmer (flex hose). I am assuming I do not need to use the clamps with the unions and valves since I slip the tubing on and the joints on the fittings lock in the tubing (right?). Is this correct? I'm at work and trying to visualize this before I get home and start working on it.
    24' Round 14K Gallons
    Aquabot Pool Rover Jr.