How to get the sand/dirt from the bottom of my hottub?

May 17, 2010
I'm new to the hot tub universe, and wondering what's the best way to get the sand and dirt that always seems to collect at the bottom of my tub. I know I really need to set up a little foot rinse for people to use before getting in, but alas.

I've heard stories of a big syringe type vacuum?

Wondering if there's some gizmo that people particularly recommend?

Thanks for any help.

I have a spa wand similiar to the one above that I got at Leslies for around $40.

It works great. Pretty small nozzle though so only good for real fine sand and dirt.
Anything larger I turn on the spill over and push into the pool :lol: :lol:

The only drawback of this wand is that it uses 8AA batteries and they do not last long at all in there. Every few weeks I am replacing them batteries. Once those suckers lose a bit of juice it doesnt work well anymore.

I keep promising to get a charger but I still havent done it.

Anyway, if you have a Leslies by you, check it out.

My Solution:

Boat hand pump with a nylon stocking over the end of the hose. The end of the hose does not have to be out of the water for this to work. Suck the stuff off the bottom and the water returns to the spa while the debris stays in the stocking.

[attachment=0:189hdw21]SDC10313.JPG[/attachment:189hdw21]

Attachments

• SDC10313.JPG
    SDC10313.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 376
This is an old'ish post but I might be of use to someone looking through the history for an answer to this problem for zero cost. I cut a few metres of hose pipe from the garden hose (dont tell my wife!). Grabbing both ends of the cut pipe I fill full of water. Then you quickly drop one end onto the floor (or drain), and at the same time place the other end into the tub. This creates a syphon and starts the water flowing. Then simply vacuum up the debris on the bottom of the tub... easy.

PS. I use a slightly larger flex pipe (1.5") that I have from my pool to drain the tub when needed. Syphoning this way is rapid.

PPS. Of course you need a slight head (or drop) between one end of the pipe and the other.

PPPS. You could simply suck from the lower end to get the syphon working.

Does this help anyone? :whoot:

Simple really......Silly Putty....water wont break it down, and when it gets dirty, you simply break off the dirty part. Why someone hasn't packaged this for the Spa Industry is beyond me. Also you can use Detailing Clay, works amazing at picking up annoying particles and will remove any scum in a jiffy.

Reactions: Scubie

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My Solution:

Boat hand pump with a nylon stocking over the end of the hose. The end of the hose does not have to be out of the water for this to work. Suck the stuff off the bottom and the water returns to the spa while the debris stays in the stocking.

[attachment=0:189hdw21]SDC10313.JPG[/attachment:189hdw21]
This was brilliant! Affordable, effective, and works fast. I used to puts around with my official spa wand for way too long. With this, I’m done in less than 5 minutes!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.