Hayward Northstar coupling o-rings

Jun 10, 2010
I have a northstar filter pump and bought new orings to take care of leaks I had in the suction and discharge coupling and they now leak worse than they did before. Is there a fatter o-ring that I can install?

Are the new o-rings the correct parts?

Knock on wood, Ive never had a leak from my Northstar inlet and outlet o-rings. Are you tightening the quick connects enough? Any stress on the inlet/outlet because of the plumbing being slightly out of line?

When I store the pump after the season I coat the o-rings in silicone lube and then put them in a zip lock bag and store them hanging on a wall. They dont get distorted, they dont dry out, and they are ready to go for the next season when it arrives.

-Chris

The o-rings I bought are the ones shown in the parts book. When I tighten the fitting, there doesn't seem to be any contact with the o-ring. I used some teflon grease. I will take a good look at the alignment. There were no shims under the pump so I thought that all was well.

Does the o-ring material stick out past the surface when it's seated in the groove?
It does sound like they're not the right material thickness. You could probably measure them and find replacements of bigger thickness that will allow it to seal. It seems odd that they'd be the wrong size though.

They don't stick out beyond the edge of the flange. They are the right part number and were packaged in the Hayward plastic parts bag and it was sealed. Could they have ben made in China? Some of thier measuring tools are different than ours.

Is it possible that the couplings are not Hayward? Do the O-rings (old and new) look identical? Any cracks in the couplings?

I have had two northstars and have had them disconnected a few times and have had no problems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.