The Pool Calculator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stupid question - is there a HELP File fro HOW TO USE that Pool Calculator? the place I'nm getting myself confused is the TARGET values -- do you just leave them at their Default numbers? Why would I want to change the Target levels? Thanks so much for the calculator.

JasonLion said:
Keep in mind that the Pool Calculator doesn't tell you what to do, it tells you how to do something you have decided needs to be done.

To get an idea of where to set your target levels, take a look at our Recommended Levels chart.

Jason, I've used http://www.poolcalculator.com/ for many years. I liked it so much that I bought 2 copies of the iPhone App, http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pool-cal ... 76581?mt=8, one for myself and one for my daughter. But I have an issue with the App and tried to email support (you) and got a message that the email address was not working. Here's the email:
Aren't you guy's going to fix the pool-calculator app for iPhone?

As steve63703 says in his comment on
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pool-cal ... 76581?mt=8:

"It is a perfect app except for one thing it won't hold your settings
you have to keep entering them fix that and I will give it 5 stars!"

FRUSTRATING to have a computing device with memory but the software
doesn't use it. FRUSTRATING to have to enter ALL the setup parameters
every time I reopen the app.

PLEASE fix it and publish an update!!!

Thanks,
Steve

All three of the addresses I tried to send it to bounced:
[email protected], [email protected], [email protected].

And the two links on the App Store go to lame web pages with no useful information:
1. pSiFlow Technology, Inc. Web Site => http://www.poolcalculator.com/iphone/support.html , which includes your non-functioning email address, [email protected].
2. Pool-Calculator Support => http://www.poolcalculator.com/iphone/ that has one link taking you back to the App store.

Also, if you Google "pSiFlow Technology, Inc" you get http://www.psiflow.com/, which has nothing to do with the pool calculator.

What's the story? Any hope of moving toward a professional presentation of information; and getting the App fixed?

psiflow purchased the app from Jason some time back, and while they indicated early on that they might keep it up, they seem to have just abandoned it. Jason cannot do anything with it anymore, as it belongs to someone else.

From page 3 or so of this thread:
pSiFlow said:
Gang,
This is Terry from pSiFlow. I am the founder and CEO of the company. We bought Pool Calculator from Jason to get a respected dosage calculator to add to our diagnostics tools. We have no intention of changing the free aspect of the web app, and have taken all of Jason's input on requests, as well as trolling the TFP fora. The pool calculator app will not turn into an app with ads or any of that junk; it will stay the DIY dosage tool it has always been. Our roadmap includes supporting iPhone, Android and BB and I will keep y'all up to date on that.

We just put up the pSiFlow version of Jason's app for review by Apple this last weekend, not many changes, just a few tweaks to match the new development kit and iOS. Shouldn't take too long to approve. As Jason has mentioned, Apple has not figured out how to transfer apps from one owner to another. A lot of that has happened by basically turning over the entire account to the buyer, but that can't work here since it is Jason's personal account.

How will we handle the issues this creates? Well I think once we get it up on the app store, we will make it free for a while, and announce it here so that everyone that has supported it and may feel left in the lurch by what we had to do can get on to the new version. Please feel free to post here (I hope Jason lets this stay sticky).

Our main business is reading test strips and other sensors with phone cameras, aggregating the data for the customers and giving them recommendations based on trends and results. We work with strip makers and retailers to connect the strip user with the dealer (recommendations are based on dealer chemicals and the dealer can see a dashboard of the results). I won't use this forum to sell our product, so pm me if you want to discuss offline.

I am a PhD chemist with tons of analytical chemistry experience. I have taught as an adjunct at Boise State (yes, the blue turf). I am a scientist and I seem to fit in nicely with you lot, and I really appreciate what TFP does. Thats all for now.
Terry

I have been kicking around the idea of a web site based off the pool calculator but taking it one step further. It would allow you to log your test results, run it though a calculator bring your the results and allow you to log the chemicals from the results you applied for treatment. You would be able to have your preset target numbers loaded automatically to make getting to the results quicker and easier.

I was then throwing around the idea of the phone app most likely in the iOS world, that would hook into the site allowing you to do many of the functions from your phone. To start there definitely will be mobile version of the web site for mobile users out there.

I started development and am at a sticking point of displaying the results from the calculator. Do people want to see it how the current calculator shows it, or would there be a better way to display it.

Obviously to run such a system takes money, time and resources. This is coming out of my passion so making money isn't my goal. Being able to maintain the server and what not is what would be needed. I was thinking an annual fee for the site something like $10-15 a year. I thought it was fair and affordable. Thoughts? Do people see a need for such a system?

I hope I am within my bounds of forum rules of this post it is a "business idea" and I hope to bring it to the TFP community this year.

As Ohm_Boy already pointed out, it isn't me you should be talking to. I sold The Pool Calculator several years ago to pSiFlow Technologies, and all emails @poolcalculator.com, including [email protected], go to them. They don't seem to answer e-mail very much any more, but someone there fixed their web site recently, so they are not completely gone.

OK, I looked at the Android version of "Pool Calculator" $4.99 in Google Play Store. Comparing that to the $4.99 app alled "Simple Pool" it appears that Simple Pool is a more complete / better APP ... it allows for transfering of the data and history to other hardware - eg. a PC or Web ? It also appears to be a lot more user friendly, and uses the BBB method for analysis and recommendations .. There is a FREE version of it that I installed. Has anyone used BOTH and have a recommendation which is the better APP for just 1 pool? I'm seriously leaning towards the Simple Pool app. Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The Android app named "Pool Calculator" is not in any way related to the Pool Calculator web site or the iPhone Pool Calculator app.

For Android users the Simple Pool app is highly recommended by TFP members.

Thanks for clearing that up ... That was sort of what my impression was ... I just had an email from the developer of Simple Pool app and he's planning on adding an EXPORT function so that we can get the data in something like a spreadsheet .. I think I'll justy go with SP Calc.

I was using the pool calculator for iPhone and switched to an Android phone. Did not see simple pool but did try out pool pal which keeps logs for you to go back to and is free. Is this one a good one?

I might recommend that the original post of this thread be edited to indicate that the Pool Calculator in the App store seems to be no longer maintained and is no longer owned by Jason Lion. It may help free up a lot of these questions about whether or not to get it and etc. It may also be handy to edit the post to include a list of the "features" that don't work quite the way they should to help save people some money when they think that they're getting a respected and recommended tool.

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, and if it has I apologize.

Most browsers store separate cookies for "www.poolcalculator.com" and "poolcalculator.com"

By using both addresses you can essentially store your own pool information at one address and use the other one for a second pool or helping others with their pool without messing with your own pool's numbers.

Can someone update the pool calculator to have 8.25% as an option for adding chlorine ( I believe thats what the concentrated bleaches have in them)
FYI---If you need someone to do this for you I can help. I have many years experience in web development and its probably a 10 minute fix.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.