The Pool Calculator

Status
Not open for further replies.
sgtdvldog said:
I had tried to get to the Pool Calculator from my Palm Centro and it wouldn't work correctly. So I took the formulas and put them into a spreadsheet that I can view from Documents to go.

This isn't as inclusive as the website, but it suits my needs. If I need to double check something I go to the website. This spreadsheet calculates Bleach, Borax, Baking Soda, Calcium Chloride and Stabilizer only. It calculates Bleach by oz and the rest by weight. If you use it, you will need to put in the Gallons and Bleach %.

Forgot to mention, it should work on a pc/laptop as well as long as you have something that can open up MS Excel spreadsheets.

Hope others find this useful.

Thanks - will give this a try this month logging a few pools. I've got a could of shocks to do... may want to add it to the Min FC table...

sgtdvldog said:
Here is another version. I have added the Shock Levels from Chem Geeks chart and also added a section to calculate the FC effect of adding x oz of bleach.
Thank you for the spreadsheet. I have a few quibbles with its operation, but have not seen the previous version that was posted. If I'm off-base with these minor criticisms or have missed an earlier explanation, I apologize...

Columns B & C. If the value entered for Now exceeds the value of Target, then the Add column suggests an amount to be removed from the pool. How would I do this? (a bit tongue-in-cheek here!) Most difficult for me to figure was the following example.

In the PH section (row 11) I entered: Now = 8.0 Target = 7.6 (typical for my pool).
The result displayed in the Add column was [minus] - 24. oz of Borax.
Interesting, but it’s a lot easier to add muriatic acid to lower pH, than to remove Borax (I think!)

Effect of Adding Bleach (cell B32)… Perhaps it should copy the value from D6?

CYA / FC table - The FC values seem computed for non-SWG pools or are they?
If whatever changes you decide to make to the spreadsheet could also be made to work for SWG pools, I think more people will find this of value.

The spreadsheet isn't meant to replace the pool calculator online. I created it so I could basically calculate the amount of bleach to add without having to log on and could do it from my phone. If you need to lower something or it isn't included on the spreadsheet, then I would recommend the pool calculator website. I didn't realize there was a difference in calculations for a SWG pool.

I mentioned earlier, the spreadsheet won't be as inclusive as the website or the iPhone app, since I don't have the programming capabilities that Jason has.

One minor little item on the website PC that I mostly ignore since it really doesn't make any difference to the end result is in the bleach addition area - I get my bleach from the pool stores in the 5 gallon plastic carboys of 12%... It works out to between $3-4 /gallon which IMHO is better than paying ~$2/gal for 6% at Walmart or equivalent, especially when figuring in the hassles of moving lots of gallon jugs and getting rid of the empties...

However on the pool calc, the largest option for container size is 182 oz. This doesn't really make a lot of difference since the only effect of specifying a different container size is that the info window will tell you how many jugs to use, along with the cups, etc... Since the number I use is the ounces in the main window, it doesn't make much difference to me, but I thought I would mention it in the interest of "feature completeness"

Gooserider

The theory is that if the Pool Calculator tells you to add 8 gallons of liquid chlorine, and you have 5 gallon jugs, that you can figure out how many jugs that is for yourself (one and three fifths). But if you have 182 oz jugs, you probably want help doing the math to find out how many jugs that is (around 5.6).

That's why I said it was a very minor buglet, not something that needed much (if any) attention... On the relative scale, I would say it is in the "fruit-fly" class as opposed to the "Palmetto Roach" class...

Eventually I'd like to get a pump for my carboys, but right now I am just pouring into some home made measuring cups made from cut down bleach bottles and "calibrated" by means of a Sharpie and some of the measuring cups out of the kitchen... I'm typically adding about 120 oz at a go (because I don't test as often as I should :oops: :roll: ) and I figure at that scale +/- 10 oz is no big deal :whoot:

My water has stayed perfect looking all summer, and pool season is rapidly coming to a close for me... It has been getting to cool to be tempting to swim, and we definitely want to close before the leaves start falling in 3-4 weeks....

Gooserider

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just downloaded the app for my iPod. It's going to save me a lot of running into the house to my computer during start-up season (which started today for me). The Pool Calculator app is only the 2nd app I've paid money for since I got my iPod Touch last year. I only buy quality, useful apps, and this one definitely made the cut for me to loosen the grip on my credit card! (I knew it would because I love the on-line calculator so much.) Thanks Jason!

Sherra said:
I just downloaded the app for my iPod. It's going to save me a lot of running into the house to my computer during start-up season.
I'd like to see that cell phone ap sometime.

Does that mean I have to purchase a cell phone and carry it with me? :wink:

It's by no means a certain fact that you "get what you pay for" in terms of technology, but I can attest to the usefulness and flexibility of the Pool Calculator. I compared its results to my own ad hoc hodge-podge of Saturation Index (SI) formulas during several months last summer but I couldn't find a dependable way to muck it up, so my computer adopted it, and I'm happy that it works on computers not connected to the internet. After some connivance and thievery, I've managed to replicate its functions in an Excel spreadsheet (for the ease in updating treatment logs as I enter my test results each week).

For anyone who currently uses the Pool Calculator written by Jason on a desktop computer and has it in their mind that the new Taylor Watergram Calculator ($7.95) will untether them from the office, I wish to purvey a word of warning – and my sympathies if you have already purchased this product. In college, I bought several inexpensive hand-held calculators (Seiko, Casio, TI.) All of them still work. The Taylor product is pretty to look at and almost entirely useless. The credit-card sized calculator is very frustrating to use. Bright sunshine is required to operate it and if tucked in a shirt pocket for a few seconds or brought indoors without plenty of artificial light, it will happily reset to default values. The key pad’s numbers are too small and you can’t use a stylus or pen, it’s so unresponsive that I thought at first mine was defective. The LCD display is puny, twice the length of a No. 2 pencil eraser and about as wide – but this won’t be of large concern because the most frequently displayed output is: E r r o r

Wait! I haven’t finished….

poolpop said:
Wondering if your considering a Android App for the pool calculator. There is a Pool Calculator App in the Market, but I wanted yours if I could get it. Here is a link to the android market developer site http://developer.android.com/index.html Thanks for all you do!

I just downloaded the other developers app from Market on my Android device - I have invoked the "uninstall and refund" because it is kind of bulky and very incomplete. I use your iphone app on my wifes ipod. I would really like to be able to install an app like this on my HTC Droid. What are the chances you will develop this for the Android market?

Thanks

Mike

Downloaded the iphone app..awesome.

One question on the ph..
when it says, "Given a ph of x and a borate of 0..."

What does the borate of zero mean? How do you know what your borate level is? That confuses me a bit.

TIA!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.