The Pool Calculator

Status
Not open for further replies.
primary source of chlorine

The goal levels are set up based on pool type (trouble free, traditional, spa), primary source of chlorine and pool surface.

For primary source of chlorine, the choices are SWG, bleach, trichlor. This affects mostly TA and CYA. I was wondering if it makes sense to add cal-hypo to the list? Will cal-hypo goals be close to bleach?

Sorry if this was discussed. New here and trying to catch up.

The Pool Calculator appears to only recommend adding chlorine if the FC level goes below the minimum for the given CYA level. Most of the opinions of the experts here seem to indicate you should keep your FC higher than minimum so that you never reach minimum.

So, shouldn't the Pool Calculator tell you to add x amount of chlorine based on how close you are getting to the minimum? I know you can go down to the bottom and plug in numbers to see how much to add to raise FC a given ppm, but it just seems the PC should start telling you to add chlorine as you're nearing minimum FC and not wait until you drop below.

Regards
Michael

Deciding when to raise FC is your job, not the Pool Calculator's. The Pool Calculator doesn't decide what you should do, it only tells you how to do it. You need to enter the appropriate target levels and it will then tell you how much of which chemical to add.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I used density based on bulk density charts and measured values (you can measure it yourself, but remember to tamp down to settle the material) where 1 ounce weight is 0.8 fluid ounces volume or 75 lbs./cu.ft or 1.2 g/ml. That does seem to be on the high side given the following.

62 lbs./cu.ft.
40 lbs./cu.ft.
31-75 lbs./cu.ft
50 lbs./cu.ft.
40-55 lbs./cu.ft.
50 lbs./cu.ft.

However, the Arm & Hammer Baking Soda MSDS lists 62 lbs./cu.ft. (0.993 g/ml) so that is probably what we should be using. If/when we revise/replace The Pool Calculator, we can make this change.

Hi all. Is anyone else having issues with the iPhone app and iOS7? I upgraded this last week and now the calculator opens but immediately closes. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is anyone even still using the app?

carlscan26 said:
Hi all. Is anyone else having issues with the iPhone app and iOS7? I upgraded this last week and now the calculator opens but immediately closes. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is anyone even still using the app?
It's working for me and I updated to iOS7.

I have both the original version and the psi flows one. I prefer the original because it doesn't lose settings when you shut the app down. The psi version is working. It's the original one that opens and then closes. Thanks for the ideas guys.

This is happening to me, too.

I have both the original version and the psi flows one. I prefer the original because it doesn't lose settings when you shut the app down. The psi version is working. It's the original one that opens and then closes. Thanks for the ideas guys.

So, it seems I need to buy the psi one, too, as buggy as it is, if I want a pool calculator on my iPhone. I think it's pretty crummy the psi company has no support for their buggy product, which is why I will likely not buy it.

Costco in Canada is selling Cal Hypo 70% this year. Up from 65% last year for the same price. Bless their hearts. The calculator does not have 70% as an option. I have emailed the folks at poolcalculator.com and asked that it be added but if not I'm wondering if I simply reduce the factor used for 73% by 3% in the JS script whether it'd still be accurate? Is it a linear calculation? On the other hand I'm thinking that 3% really doesn't matter when dosing my pool.

We no longer recommend pool calculator because it was abandoned by its current owner. We now use PoolMath ... which looks remarkably the same ;) but it does have some updates.

You are aware that letting the CH get too high as a result of using cal-hypo is not a good thing right?

So who is supporting the calculator now and can anyone answer my original question? How is the factor determined?
Code:
function CalcFC()
{
	var ozmul = [6854.95, 4149.03, 3565.44, 3936.84, 4828.12, [B]5422.41[/B], 2637.5, 7489.4];
	var vol = ["X", 0.9351, 0.9352, 0.9352, 0.9352, 0.9352, 0.978, "X"];
	var temp;

if (parseFloat(document.F.FCfrom.value)<parseFloat(document.F.FCto.value)) {
		// Bleach
		temp=(parseFloat(document.F.FCto.value)-
			parseFloat(document.F.FCfrom.value)) * 
			GetGallons() / 482.202 * 6 / parseFloat(document.F.FCpcnt.value);
		document.F.FC1oz.value=PutVolume(temp);

// Trichlor, Dichlor, Cal-hypo 48%, 53%, 65%, 73%, 
		// Lith-hypo, Chlorine Gas
		temp=(parseFloat(document.F.FCto.value)-
			parseFloat(document.F.FCfrom.value)) *
			GetGallons() / ozmul[document.F.FCpop.selectedIndex];
		document.F.FC2oz.value=PutWeight(temp);
		if (vol[document.F.FCpop.selectedIndex]=="X")
			document.F.FC2vol.value="unknown";
		else document.F.FC2vol.value=PutVolume(temp *
			vol[document.F.FCpop.selectedIndex]);
		}
	else {
		document.F.FC1oz.value=0;
		document.F.FC2oz.value=document.F.FC2vol.value=0;
		}
	}

No one is supporting www.poolcalculator.com. I am supporting PoolMath.

The factors come from a whole variety of places, many are from chem geek, some are derived from basic chemistry, some come from chemical handbooks, one or two come from product instruction sheets (when I couldn't find them anywhere else), and several of the densities I measured myself. The PH calculations in the PH adjustment section are my own approximation of a much more sophisticated model that is too complex to include in a web page.

70% vs 73% doesn't make any difference for swimming pools. There are much larger errors than that in all of the other factors (pool size, test results, etc).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.