The Pool Calculator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using the Taylor Watergram slide rule circular calculator to determine my saturation index and keep it within range.

However, using your pool calculator which takes into account salt, CYA and Borates which the Taylor calculator does not use, I get large discrepancies. In fact, according to the pool calculator, my csi is not within range, but according to the Taylor calculator, it is.

Can I assume that because the pool calculator is using more information, it is more accurate?

The CSI calculation in the Pool Calculator is more accurate. The Taylor calculator uses a simplified approximation designed to be easy for people to do by hand in the field, while the Pool Calculator uses much more complex equations derived directly from the chemistry. Neither one is perfect. Plus, they are both limited by the test results you have, which are typically +-10% (or worse).

If you use 0 ppm Borates and 500 ppm or lower salt in The Pool Calculator, I think it comes out about the same as the Taylor Watergram. I originally tweaked the formulas to fairly closely match the watergram under those conditions years ago so unless Taylor changed the watergram it should still match. Don't forget that the watergram uses carbonate alkalinity so you have to adjust TA for the CYA level when using the watergram.

3000 ppm salt as with a saltwater chlorine generator will lower the CSI by around 0.2 units while the borates might lower the CSI by around 0.05 units though it depends on the pH and other factors where 50 ppm Borates at a pH of 8.0 would lower the CSI by 0.1 units. 80 ppm CYA would lower the CSI by around 0.13 though again depends on pH and TA levels.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This could probably get filed under the 'I hate to ask a stupid question' section but.... when calculating the volume of water in my pool, when I enter the depth do I enter the depth of the actual water or the depth of the pool? My pool is 54" but the water is 48" because it only goes up to the middle of the skimmer.

techguy said:
Jason, it appears the calculator here at TFP is being maintained but the stand alone site is not.

So, I can assume I should use the one here, as it is more TFP focused?

Whoa! Just noticed this too. I have been using "http://www.poolcalculator.com/" (on my iphone) and never used the one hosted on TFP. Are there any significant differences between the two? I'm guessing not and that dosages to reach target levels haven't changed.

-Garry

At poolcalculator.com, the units will change to grams in the "Effects of adding chemicals" section (when using metric). It doesn't do that on the troublefreepool.com/calc.html site. It stays on ml. I am just wondering if all other things are equal (other than bleach jug size). I don't need the bleach section because I use SWG. If that's the case I'll use poolcalculator.com

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.