Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pool Calculator

The Pool Calculator

The Pool Calculator is a handy web based calculator for figuring out amounts of chemicals to add, what your calcite saturation index is, and what appropriate FC levels for your CYA level are.

The Pool Calculator

For background you will also want to read Recommended Pool Chemicals over at Pool School.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Member In the Industry

Hi Jason,

Great calculator mate!

My hat goes off to you! Awesome Work!

Take Care,

Michael Silvester

Suggested FC Levels :

In the Suggested FC Levels section what do the 4 textboxes mean

SWG : 1
    Normal : 1 to 4
    Shock : 10
    Mustard Algae Shock : 12

I may have an idea but I just need to be sure. I have an AG non-saltwater pool so i htink SWG doesn't apply to me. Does Normal mean the 'range' that is generally accespted for your FC levels to be reading ? And does Shock mean the ppm that you want to shock your pool at initiailly to kill all the algae ? If so I'm a bit confused ... If the normal range is at 1 to 4 and you shock your pool with 10 ppm, how do you get the levels for FC back down to the 1-4 range ? Hope that makes sense.

-S

P.S. - This calculator is a great idea. So glad you guys made it.
    sbelgrave @ Westminster, MD
    Size : 16 x 32 x 4
    Volume : 12,000 Gallons
    Material :Vinyl
    Water Type : Non-Saltwater

SWG is the FC level you should aim for when using a salt water chlorine system.
    Normal A to B is the range that people without a SWG system should keep their pool at day to day. The lower number is the minimum, never let FC go below that level.
    Shock is the FC level you want to maintain to kill algae.
    Mustard Algae Shock is a FC level that is sometimes required to kill persistent mustard algae.

All of these numbers depend on your current CYA level. Enter your CYA level, hit tab, and the Pool Calculator will show levels appropriate for that CYA level.

Chlorine gets used up, both by sunlight and by things like people and pollen in the pool. Unless your CYA level is very very high the FC level will come down from shock level to normal levels in about two days.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Thanks alot. Very helpful
    sbelgrave @ Westminster, MD
    Size : 16 x 32 x 4
    Volume : 12,000 Gallons
    Material :Vinyl
    Water Type : Non-Saltwater

Re: The Pool Calculator

I want to use the calculator to tell me how much shock to add to my pool. I inserted all of the data parameters, and it reads "17." I believe that is the ppm of FC it wants me to raise the level to. Correct? But, I do not see how many pounds of shock I should add to achieve this level.
    19,000 gallons
    Cartridge filter
    IG vinyl, Propane heater
    SWG, 2006 Taylor Test Kit

First, enter the number of gallons in your pool in the orange Size row near the top. Then enter your current FC level is the Now column of the yellow FC row and your target FC level in the Goal column of the yellow FC row. Then select the kind of "shock" you are using in the popup menu to the right, it probably says "trichlor" right now. Then, just to the left of that popup, it will tell you how many oz by weight and by volume that you will need.

Bobbyk, look here for more answers to your questions. JasonLion

I think you need to convert this to a version I can download for my iPhone. That would be a great app now that it's available. There are a thousand useless apps out there now, we need a few more actual useful ones...

You could probably sell it. Alot of these apps sell through the iTunes store for a few bucks each. How many pool/iPhone owners are there?

Here's a link for the Developer software...hint...hint...

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/program/
    Fortune favors the well prepared

The build...
    viewtopic.php?t=3974
    Freeform 24' x 38' IG gunite. 3 1/2' to 8' deep. 28,500 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWCG. Pentair Intelliflo VF. Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter. Colorlogic LED lights. Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite. 1200 sq ft stamped concrete deck.
    More details as they happen...

Quote Originally Posted by Belldiver
    I think you need to convert this to a version I can download for my iPhone. That would be a great app now that it's available. There are a thousand useless apps out there now, we need a few more actual useful ones...

You could probably sell it. Alot of these apps sell through the iTunes store for a few bucks each. How many pool/iPhone owners are there?

Here's a link for the Developer software...hint...hint...

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/program/

I SECOND THAT!!! :P

Great resource and much appreciated. Would be cool to have the SWG on a seperate page though not to confuse us dumb people. LOL
    16,500 Gallon Plaster, Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 1 1/2 HP Up-Rated Pump, Pentair Clean n Clear 150 Cartridge Filter, BioGuard Mineral Springs MS-10 SWG, Hayward Navigator Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer

I too would like to have the pool calculator in an iPhone app.

Right now, I have another question about the calculator. Could you add an estimate of the change in PH as well as the change in TA with addition of baking soda?
    12170 Gallon in ground San Juan Caesar's Palace fiberglass with integral Spa in a screened enclosure. 1 HP Pentair Whisperflow pump with Pentair Sand Dollar SD-80 sand filter. Intellichlor IC40 with EasyTouch wireless remote. Aquacal Heatwave Heat Pump. Taylor K-2006 and Aquachek Salt test strips.

The iPhone version is coming "Real Soon Now". It will not be free, but I think you will find it to be an excellent value.

How baking soda changes the pH is now included in the beta version, in the effects of adding chemicals section. Like all of the other PH calculations in that section, the results are approximate.

Thanks for the beta version link Jason, that's perfect. I'll be more than happy to pay for an iPhone app that is as useful as this one. Please post somewhere on the forum when it's available.

Jim
    12170 Gallon in ground San Juan Caesar's Palace fiberglass with integral Spa in a screened enclosure. 1 HP Pentair Whisperflow pump with Pentair Sand Dollar SD-80 sand filter. Intellichlor IC40 with EasyTouch wireless remote. Aquacal Heatwave Heat Pump. Taylor K-2006 and Aquachek Salt test strips.

Love the iPhone version

Jason, the new iPhone version of the pool calculator is great. It makes testing and adjusting my water even easier. Thanks again.

You are welcome

Just bought the iPhone version and it is very nice. Glad to have it.
    16K Gallon, Rectangular, All Tile Surface, 14'X24'X5'
    1/2HP pump, Sand Filter
    FAS-DPD K-2006
    Year-Round Use!

Nice job. Now I just have to make sure I don't drop the phone in the pool while I'm out there checking the water...
    Fortune favors the well prepared

The build...
    viewtopic.php?t=3974
    Freeform 24' x 38' IG gunite. 3 1/2' to 8' deep. 28,500 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWCG. Pentair Intelliflo VF. Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter. Colorlogic LED lights. Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite. 1200 sq ft stamped concrete deck.
    More details as they happen...

DUDE!!! The Pool Calculator iPhone app is the SHizzNiT!!!

uh, i mean... it's quite useful and handy tool. worth every penny.
    Marc

15x33, 13k, AGP, vinyl, 3/4 HP Pump, Sand Filter, TF-100 test kit.

Can I get the same app for my BB (please???)
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

Thanks

I will add a Blackberry version to the wish list for possible future support.

Quote Originally Posted by taekwondodo
    Can I get the same app for my BB (please???)
    I second that request!
    Hayward S220T Sand Filter, Hayward Max-Flo 1 HP Pump, 14,000 Gal Vinyl Inground