My pool is one of the metal frame 'easy sets' that I take down every fall. I fill it from a well each spring. I know there is metal in the water - the first season you fine folks cleared up an algae bloom in a week that I'd been fighting for a month. This was due to the chlorine reacting to the metal. Last season I thought I knew what I was doing and had problems at opening with the chlorine reacting to the metal. This season I filled the pool, approx 4k gallons then added a bottle of Metal Free - directions on the bottle say 32oz treats 10k gallons. I waited overnight with the pump on, then added 48oz of bleach to shock. Water seemed fine. 3 days later after ground settling (moved the pool to a new area this year) I added 2 more " of water - approx 300 gallons. That night I shocked it again and the water turned yellowish. I got another bottle of Metal Free, dumped it in and waited overnight. Water cleared up, shocked it again and by the evening it was yellow again. Yesterday I dumped in about half a bottle, waited till this evening, shocked again and the water is yellow again.
The water is clear, just tinted. When I add the metal treatment, it clears up, at least until I add more bleach. I can also see the beginnings of algae at the bottom of the pool. What protocol should I be following? Should I switch brands? Add more Metal Free and wait longer - say 48 hrs? PH is 7.7 according to water test today. I need more of the stabilizer test solution, but the pool place says it is low right now. That is expected since I know it can take a week or so to fully dissolve.
thanks for any help