no longer contemplating

Barbara C

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2010
Southern Indiana
So I started shocking the pool yesterday. I can't seem to find anywhere if I'm supposed to pour the bleach around the pool or into the skimmer. I've done both. When I poured it into the skimmer, the return hose started moving around and things didn't seem happy even when I poured slowly.
Thanks for the help. I'll be posting a few pictures later!

I think things are moving along well. I started out yesterday with my FC not reading even after just adding it to now I have 12 ppm FC after an hour. I topped off to get back to 15 and will check again around 11:00 EDT. I have a nice supply of bleach but I'm going out soon to get some more for tomorrow.
Thanks for the advice on where to put the bleach. I only have one return so it's not a hard choice!
I can't say thank you enough to TF Test Kits. They're the greatest! Dave gave me so much assistance yesterday when our readings were acting strangely and followed up today.

After making our last addition last night at 2:00 am, I was up again at 6:30 to check things before the sun hit the pool. Our FC was at 9. I think that's okay for the first day/night of the conversion?? So back to bed and by 11:30 with the sun out bright today we have FC of 8. I'm getting ready to make my next addition. The pool isn't near as green as it was yesterday. I suppose that's a good sign too. It will be off to Walmart sometime today for more bleach. Hopefully, they have stocked the 182 oz. jugs!

Thanks! My baquacil levels were low to begin with and I had new sand from the end of last year. We only have a small amount of chemicals in this sand. That seems to have helped I guess.

walmart didn't have things stocked better so off i went to the next town over to clean out their walmart.

My 11:30 check showed FC of 8, 3:00 6FC and then 7:30 7 FC. I have vacuumed as well as I can. We have 52" sides and no decking. It's hard to reach everything!

I'm ready to start my hourly assault again. When the time comes, how long is overnight considered. Since we go to bed late I can put bleach in around 1:30 or 2:00 and then be back up again at 6:30 before the sun hits it to check. Is that enough time to be considered for the 1 FC overnight loss?

There isn't a well defined lower limit on the amount of time you need to wait. Five hours is about the shortest I would let it go down to if there was a loss of 1.0, a little shorter for a loss of 0.5 or lower.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Our FC went down to 11 overnight so we're not there yet. Dave from TF Test Kits has suggested checking in the morning and then again in the evening to see how that goes. We are starting have some warmer weather and are ready to be able to swim again!!

Heavy rain over night and early morning but our FC was at 9 at 11:00. I've made two additions today and have averaged FC of 10. We've had a good storm pass through this evening so I haven't been able to get more bleach in but will be doing that soon. Last check CC was down to 3. At least that is doing what it's supposed to.

Lots of leaves, two frogs and who knows what else in the pool. I didn't have the flashlight with me at first! I think we were able to get the most of it. FC holding at 14 and CC down a bit. Not sure if I should top of the bleach or not. I need to pass the overnight chlorine loss test.

I kind of thought topping things off wouldn't be necessary too. 6:30 this morning FC was at 12. That didn't seem too bad considering the amount of debris in the pool still this morning. Not a huge amount but some had collected in the middle and there was more floating than we had realized last night. Looks as if it will be a bright sunny day today. Will vacuum this afternoon after church.

9:00 and we had FC of 15 from an 8:00 addition. Unfortunately, we've had heavy rains and winds, again. It looks as if I won't be able to get the pool cleaned out tonight before bed. I guess we'll fail the overnight chlorine loss test again. I guess there's always next summer to swim!

Thanks again for the encouragement. We didn't have as much wind with last nights storms so we didn't have near the debris in the pool!! We may have actually held our chlorine over night. I'm going to monitor it again tonight just to make sure. My CC may actually have been 0 this morning too. I say "may have" because I don't think I was as awake as I should have been to be testing. I want to make sure it's all good before proceeding.

I do have a question on some stuff that is accumulating on the underside of the skimmer basket. Pictures at http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4 ... =630011036 Should I be concerned about this? It's on the opposite side also.

Thanks so much for the help you all have given. I can't imagine trying to do this by myself even with the pool school and the pool calculator. They're wonderful resources but there's just something about someone giving encouragement along the way.

My FC this morning was definitely 14! But, we had 4 frogs floating in the pool, 3 dead and one half dead so our CC was 1. I figure that wasn't too bad. I guess we should be keeping the FC up to 15 still. I will be adding CYA today. I am going to get new skimmer socks for it though. The old ones have seen a lot of baquacil. Hopefully no frogs tonight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.