converting from baquacil to chlor - using tons of bleach

cindylndeman

LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2010
I have been following the recommended process for converting fm baquacil to chlorine and this is how its progressed so far:

6/7 7:40 pm got my pH down to 7.2 so added 364 oz bleach per pool calculator. Pool turned green.

6/7 8:40pm FC = 1, CC=7.5, TA=110, CH 225, CYA=0 - Added 30oz bleach

6/8 6:20am FC=4, pH 7.5 Added 156 oz Bleach

6/8 7:30pm pH=7.5, FC=1 CC=2 Added 364 oz Bleach

6/8 8:45pm pH = 7.5, FC=9 Added 182oz Bleach

6/9 6:05am pH=7.5, FC=4 Added 364oz Bleach

6/9 11:30am FC=3 Added 728 oz Bleach

6/9 7:00pm FC=1 - My water is Crystal clear now and nary a sign of algae all week - I'm loving these aspects but .....

I know the directions say the chlorine will be used up quickly during initial stages of conversion but are the above numbers normal for the chlorine absorption? Should I add anything but bleach at this point? I was about to add another 728 oz as it seems to be taking forever to get my FC level anywhere near 15. Is my pH okay since it is holding at 7.5 or should i try to get it back down to 7.2? According to the conversion directions it is too soon to add the CYA but my impulse is to add it so my water will hold more of the chlorine. Please advise!!

At this point you want to start tracking overnight FC loss, and only add chlorine in the evenings. Sunlight is now using up chlorine more quickly than baquacil, so it is best to stick to evening chlorine additions. Meanwhile, you need some overnight FC loss numbers to see how close to finished you are.

okay, that is helpful, thanks. I added chlorine at 7:30pm tonight and an hour later the FC measure was up to 16. I will measure in the morning and see what my FC loss is. So I don't raise the FC back up to 15 in the morning if it is below 14 or 15?

You can raise FC in the morning if you want to, but most of it will just be lost to sunlight, so it probably isn't worth it. Adding chlorine during the day will get the conversion done sooner, but it will use significantly more total chlorine before you are through.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.