Our pool is about 12 years old and came with the house we recently purchased. The pump is a Jacuzzi Magnum Force 1.5 hp with an AO Smith Motor. It's loud to the point my neighbor has commented about it. The best way I could describe the noise is that it sounds like a coffee can rolling around that's filled with pennies.
Before I discovered TFP and decided to take control of my own pool, I've had a couple of different pool 'guys' come out. Their advice seems to have been honest. They both told me that unless I really want to spend the money on a whole new pump/motor, that I should just try and live with the noise until the motor gives out. They said that if I try to remove the motor to repair or replace it, that I might need parts to reattach it to the pump unit that are no longer available. Seems to me that they believed thatwhatever part they were talking about would likely be unusable once I took everything apart. Since I'm really not familiar with these things, I'm not exactly sure what part(s) they were talking about.
Also, I told my local pool store guy about my noisy pump and he told me just to bring the pump motor in and he could probably fix it. Something about changing some bearings or something for like $15??? He said all I had to do was remove the motor and impellar or something like that. I really don't recall exactly what he said but he said it was a real easy fix. Nonetheless, I'm reluctant to even try to remove my motor b/c I'm fearful that once I take it apart that I won't be able to put it back together the way it was. It already has a very slow/mild constant leak which I'm also told is nothing to worry about as it never accumulates enough water to even form a puddle - The concrete slab around the pump/motor housing just tends to be wet most of the time.
So my dilema is if I should even bother trying to disassemble the motor in hopes that I can bring it in and have it fixed/serviced/whatever or if I should wait until the motor dies at which point I will have to replace everything. I realize my other option is to simply replace everything now which I'm trying to avoid due to financial reasons.
Thanks in advance.