Question regarding Ascorbic Acid treatment

Jun 9, 2010
After confirming stain type, reading here about the ascorbic acid treatment, and ordering the acid (2.2 lbs from Amazon for $36.95 with free shipping) I will be doing this treatment next week. My question is..............

I saw where the chlorine should be brought back up slowly. Can I do this with the SG at the "normal" setting? Is that too fast? Too slow?

Update - performed AA treatment yesterday after adding the suggested algaecide, lowering PH to 7.0 & allowing chlorine to get to zero (almost).

I witnessed a miracle! Every stain in this 5 year old pool was gone within an hour :-D . (Used all 2.2 lbs of AA I ordered, what else was I going to do with it, take it as a vitamin? :roll: )

I have since used washing soda to bring up both my PH & Alk to suggested levels. Since I use a SG, and I normally run it at 60%, I turned it back on this afternoon at 15%. Obviously the chlorine levels will never get where they need to be at this %. Question is............how often should I bump up the % to get chlorine where it is needed, keeping in mind the SG will also raise the PH, or should I raise the chlorine to the necessary levels using liquid chlorine (I already have 4 gal on hand). If I take this approach, how much should I add at any one time and how often to bring the chlorine back up slowly as suggested?

Thanks for your help, you guys saved me a $$$$$ by posting the instructions for the AA treatment! (After this is all balanced.........it's on to Borax!)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.