Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 80-yr. old pool: bond question

1. Back To Top    #1

80-yr. old pool: bond question

Hi folks,

I'm moving towards installing the pump and filter on the Very Old Pool my fiancée and I will be acquiring with our new house. (Link:

A problem: I know that the safest system is one in which all the metal surfaces and concrete within 5 or so feet of the pool are joined in a bond loop that also reaches the pump. But I cannot imagine that my pool was built with anything like a bond loop (after all, the pool was built in 1930). There's nothing "fancy" in my pool--no lights, no heating system, etc. But there is a built-in ladder composed of 4 rebar "loops," anchored in the pool wall at the shallow end. At the top of the ladder, there are two handles, built the same way.

So my question--and perhaps this should be in the Construction, Renovation section: can I create a bond loop that will provide some greater safety, given the likelihood that I don't have a grid at all?

11,500 gal. rectangular cement, 11 x 28 (built c1930); Hayward S180T sand filter; Hayward Max-Flo II 3/4 HP pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: 80-yr. old pool: bond question

The more you can bond, the better. If you can connect the ladder and the pump, you should do it.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: 80-yr. old pool: bond question

Figuring that back when they built that pool they most likely did a 100% tie on all the rebar if you could access a piece of the rebar in the shell or in the deck you could test the continuity between there and all the exposed metal surfaces and I bet they're all connected. Just bond a wire from there to the pump, etc.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/ľhp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit