Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do you measure bleach?

1. Back To Top    #1

How do you measure bleach?

New to BBB and so far, it's working great. My question - when the calculator tells you how much to add, do you measure it out accurately, or do you "guesstimate"? Should I get a measuring cup and do it right? Thanks!
    Larry
    16x28 vinyl inground kidney, 1HP pump, sand filter, Compupool SWG, 11K gallons

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do you measure bleach?

I use a graduated gallon container from Wally-World and measure it pretty close. I don't worry about getting it perfect, pretty close is good enough for me.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I guesstimate with bleach. I use 182oz jugs of 6% bleach, and I typically shoot for the nearest 1/4 jug or so and always a little on the heavy side. Even if I overshoot by a whole 1/4 jug, it is only ~1ppm in my 17,500 gallon pool. No biggie.

It is more important to measure with other chemicals...especially ones that don't get used up, such as calcium and cyanuric acid.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

i guess with the bleach, just try to be on the upscale of things... so far so good...
    live in eastern washington state
    18x36, Vinyl inground 24k
    Hayward 1 hp filter pump
    1 skimmer/2 returns
    24" sand filter, polaris 280 with booster pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

Guess...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Shotgun approach on the high side.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

I also use a one gallon plastic pitcher. I like it because i don't get the "glug... glug ...splash" that you can sometimes get if you pour too fast out of a gallon jug and it's more accurate.
    20000 gal IG freeform, vinyl, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Pentair 2 speed pump, Pentair Intellitouch controller, Pentair Heat Pump. Built 2008

8. Back To Top    #8

Is anyone surprised that I try to be exact or slightly over????
    Backyard pool-less, but used to be.....
    16,100 gallon, 18x38 3.5 ft deep oval AG, Vinyl, Sand, 1hp pump
    http://www.poolservicestech.com Liquidator
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    http://www.tftestkits.net TFT100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

I guesstimate on the high side.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

10. Back To Top    #10

Bleach I use the 1/4 jug guess system. For LC, which I use more often, I have to pour from 5 gal. container. I have a plastic pitcher marked for 1 ppm and .5 ppm FC. Kinda makes PoolCalculator unnecessary for FC (although I used it for drawing the lines). Since my LC is 12%, the same lines work for bleach, if you divide by two.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by poolgirl22
    Is anyone surprised that I try to be exact or slightly over????
    I measure everything.

12. Back To Top    #12

Measure in a Gatorade bottle. Small pool, works out great.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

13. Back To Top    #13

Same here. I have a graduated pitcher for liquids and a small food scale for dry chemicals. If Pool Calc tells me to add 8.8 ozs of something....I'm right there.

14. Back To Top    #14

You can only get so close with the calculated additions anyway. There will always be inaccuracies in the estimated volume of the pool, and some leeway in the CYA results, so the recommendations of the calculator are good, but only as good as the accuracy of all of the input numbers. There is nothing wrong with measuring, and I've done my fair share of it, but the only sure way to know the outcome of what you're adding is to use your test kit to measure it after it's added to know for sure what it did.

Ultimately, you develop a feel for what your pool needs and you don't have to measure so accurately, you'll just "know".
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

15. Back To Top    #15

Being that I'm new to maintaining my own pool and haven't quite gotten the 'bug' for extreme accuracy, so here's how I'm doing it.

For me, simplicity is the key. I need to be able to eyeball it. I purchase those 2.5 gallon yellow chlorine jugs from the store. Each one of those is 320 oz which equals 80 oz x 4. I won't even bother adding chlorine to my pool unless it needs at least 1/4 jug, or 80 oz. Then, I'll only add chlorine rounded up to the nearest 1/4 jug. This way, it's fairly easy to eyball it and even if I'm over/off by a 1/4 jug, it won't have too much affect on things. Again, simplicity is key for me.

Also, I live in South Florida and have a LOT of evaporation and rain. This keeps things changing fast enough where being off by a 1/4 jug here or there wont have any lasting effects.

I hope I don't get slammed for what I just wrote.
    TFP SUPPORTER through TFTestKits.com - My Pool: South Florida, 11K gallons, In ground, concrete / Diamond Brite, Free Form with attached spa (no heater- go figure) Built around 1998, original surface, Jacuzzi Magnum Force 1.5HP pump, Jacuzzi Cartridge Filter, Rainbow 320 Tablet Feeder, Hayward Navigator Pro, Taylor K-2006 w/ TFTestKits replacemeng Reagents.

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks for the replies. That pretty much tracks with what I've been doing; i.e. guessing to the nearest 1/4 gallon, maybe a little on the high side. I'll post my numbers tomorrow and maybe someone can verify that I'm on the right track. Great site; I'm learning a lot here!
    Larry
    16x28 vinyl inground kidney, 1HP pump, sand filter, Compupool SWG, 11K gallons

17. Back To Top    #17

I took a gal. water jug and measured a 1/2 gal.which is at the top of the sticker on the jug..Have a funnel to pure from bleach jug to other.I keep the water jug feeled with a 1/2 all the time so you can just stick in the water and delute with water in pool &then poor out.Work's very well...
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

18. Back To Top    #18

I round up to the nearest quart then eyeball it on the side of the jug.

I use a measuring cup for the acid, I usually round up to the nearest 1/2 cup. But even that is inexact, I don't hold it up and peer at the meniscus.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

19. Back To Top    #19

I have a measuring bucket that measures up to 64 ounces that I use. Picked them up at walmart for a few bucks each. I have one for bleach and one for acid and they work great.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits