Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: need help

1. Back To Top    #1

need help

Hello, I'm new to this forum.....nice site for info.....I need help...just can't adjust the water to the right levels. Have used the pool cal. to try to figure it out but no luck....I must be doing something wrong.
    Pool has been open for about 2 weeks, pump running 24/7....30' round/about 20,000gal. Water is clear but not crystal clear and I have small blotches of gray matter in the bottom of the pool that I can not get rid of.....just bought a rover jr and used it x2 this week and added black algae remover and whatever it is comes back. I'm trying to use the BBB method with the pool.

Today's readings
    PH 7.5
    Cl 3
    TA 120
    TH 230
    CYA 30

I think I'm checking everything......Thanks in advance for any help.
    30' x 52" round above ground
    Cartridge filter
    2 stage pump 2 HP
    inline chlorine feeder (slowpoke jumbo tabs)
    HTH 6 way test kit
    Aquacheck Select test strip

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: need help

Does your test kit test combined chlorine? Have you tried an overnight loss test? You might be keeping just enough chlorine in the pool to kill algae as fast as it can reproduce: Algae Equilibrium.

Have you read Pool Schoolyet? The sections on defeating algae and how to shock your pool might prove useful.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

When you say that you have gray spots that you cannot get rid of, Do you mean that they won't brush up or that they brush up but come right back?

Your TA is a little high but adjusting the pH will bring it down over time.

It would help if you listed your equipment in your signature but in the mean time, post what type filter and pump you have.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

You don't have Black Algae so don't use any more Black Algae products

You have either dust/dirt or pollen, or dead algae (of the normal variety).
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Answers to questions asked of me....

Richard....
    The HTH kit only tests TC and the strips test TC and FC...the strips show 0.5 for free chlorine. Yes I have read thru some of the pool school section and I'm trying to understand it.

Bama Rambler.....
    The gray spots due brush away or vac away and the next day they are back.
    30' x 52" round above ground
    Cartridge filter
    2 stage pump 2 HP
    inline chlorine feeder (slowpoke jumbo tabs)
    HTH 6 way test kit
    Aquacheck Select test strip

6. Back To Top    #6

See FPM's advice above. She's always right! But don't tell her I said that. It'll swell her head!

I have stuff in our pool almost every day and it's just dirt that blows in. I vacuum it out and it comes right back. Part of owning an outdoor pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit