Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pump recommendations

1. Back To Top    #1

New pump recommendations

I've been researching all evening trying to figure out if my current sand filter is adequately sized for the pool.

Sand Filter: Swim Pro 236T with this:
    Effective filtration area: 2.53ft2
    filtration rate: 25 gpm/ft2
    filter & backwash design flow rate: 63 gpm

Pump is 1.5HP

From what I can figure the minimum flow rate I need for 23800 gallons of water in my pool is 49.58. I think this filter is sufficient for the pool but am just not sure. I think the pump is going to die at some point this summer so I want to research and figure out what pump would be a good choice before it dies so I already have it onsite.

Also if the above is correct, how long should I have to run the pump to clean the pool sufficiently?

Above Ground 30ft x 4.5 ft deep, vinyl liner, hayward 1.5hp sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

South Central NJ

Re: New pump recommendations

I would drop the HP of the pump to a 3/4 or 1 HP. Your 1.5 is a bit much.

Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: New pump recommendations

I would agree with Scott's recommendation and just add to make it a 2-speed.

The Filter is ok for that size pool. At 50gpm you'll need to run your pump about 8 hours to get one turnover and that's what's recommended.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit