AGP a little off level....Too much?

JRS7

Aug 10, 2009
20 foot circle Intex pool, 48" deep. Last year had it up for about a month and a half, the ground was really unlevel and the pool was leaning pretty bad. So this year we scraped out the high side with a tractor, then brought in some dirt to smooth the whole thing out. It appeared to be much closer to level using a string and a string level. We put it up and filled it today, and what do you know: Still not level!!

I really don't want to drain and start over, any thoughts about it? The slope of the ground isn't that far off, but it adds up across 20 feet....The water on the low side is about 4 to 5 inches higher than the water level on the other side......

Anyone have an AGP that they've used without it being totally level? Anyone ever had one collapse?

If it was a pretty sure thing that it would collapse, then of course I'll drain it, but I'm not so sure that it is? It stood last year for a month or so and it was leaning worse than it is now......It really isn't leaning that much (1/4 to 1/2 inch on some poles?), it's just 4-5 inches deeper on one side.

NEVER use string levels - either use a bucket level or a self leveling laser level, string levels are extremely inaccurate as you have found out.

4-5" is way too much IMO, 1 to 1.5 is acceptable.

Yikes. I agree with Matt on this one. That is way too much. Get the laser level and make it right - tthat kind of lean just is asking for trouble, especially once you get people IN the pool and that water is moving around. You just got lucky last year that there wasn't damage.

This is EXACTLY what we've been dealing with the last 2 days! We have the same pool, same problem and almost exactly the same issue. We've drained the pool once and re-leveled. At first, all looked even and we allowed the pool to continue to fill. With kids in swim suits, ready for the okay, we noticed that while the water level only varies about 3-4", there is a post that looks to be leaning inward. It's now 11 o'clock and the kids are in bed, anxiously awaiting to jump in first thing in the morning, but I don't know if its safe. If I can figure out how to send a pic, I will, but can this be fixed, or do I need to do what I dread the most?

ok, for the pool that is currently standing and full.....get a laser level or a water level (water levels itself naturally, it will be very accurate), then check your top rail all the way around, find your low spot and mark it on the rail, find your high spot and mark it, now see what your vertical difference is between the two marks you made on the rails - on a large 30'-33' dia - pool, 1.5 to 2" is the max I would live with. A 24'-28' pool, 1-1.5", 18'-22' then go with .5 to 1" difference.

I would highly recommend fixing a pool that is beyond the above mentioned variances since it starts to affect the stability of your pool walls.
if your liner has been installed for a short period of time it will be reusable, however, if it's been set up for a year or longer, it has likely lost it's elasticity and will be very hard to reinstall without issues.

Reactions: charliej
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.