Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Which pump to use?

1. Back To Top    #1

Which pump to use?

As some of you here already know, I recently got a used AGP. It came with a 1HP Hayward Powerflo Matrix (single speed), and a Hayward 166t sand filter. I plan on upgrading to the 244t at the beginning of next year (maybe sooner but I doubt it).

From the little I understand about flow rates and such, I think this pump is too big for the filter. I also have a 2 speed 2HP pump on my hot tub. So my question is, would it be better to use the 1HP or the 2HP 2 speed on the pool? If you need more information, I'll try to get whatever I can.

Thanks everyone!
    John

24' round Vogue AGP 12,000 gal. Flotec AT251001-01 1HP pump, Hayward S310T2 sand filter, Aquarite SWG T-15
    TF-100 (found at TF Test Kits) with Speedstir and Samplesizer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Which pump to use?

I certainly would recommend a larger filter, but the 166t isn't out of the question or anything like that.

The 2 HP two speed pump on low speed will use significantly less electricity than the 1 HP on it's one speed and work better with the filter.

Ideally you want a larger filter and a 1 HP two speed, but various other combinations will work acceptably.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

So do you think the Hayward will work okay until I upgrade the filter? I just want to make sure it's not so oversized that it will blow stuff through the filter back into the pool. If it will work okay for now, I won't bother switching them out. I don't care about the electricity costs, after all our bill more than doubles when we put up Christmas lights and I just deal with it.

Thanks Jason, and anyone else who answers.
    John

24' round Vogue AGP 12,000 gal. Flotec AT251001-01 1HP pump, Hayward S310T2 sand filter, Aquarite SWG T-15

4. Back To Top    #4

Got worked down the page quickly today so...

John

5. Back To Top    #5

Your current set-up will work fine for now and is not far from typical pool store set-ups...ie oversized pump and undersized filter, but is not optimal. The s244 (300lb), may be a little overkil but by far good enogh. I have the S220t (250lb) and a 0.5hp pump, two solar panels and intex swg and no long runs. Good flow and I backwashed 3 times last season. Like jason said a 1hp 2-speed would be your best bet if you go with the 244T.

Hope that helps
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks dman, helps a lot. The 244t may be overkill, but no one here ever wishes they would've went smaller! Besides, I have a lot of time to make up my mind, so I may end up going with the 220t instead. But like I said, not until the beg. of next year. I want to replace the pump sooner, but I may just get them together.

Anyways, thanks for clearing that up.
    John