Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aerating

1. Back To Top    #1

Aerating

Just read the "how to lower total alkalinity" article and I was wondering what suffices for breaking the surface of the water using the return line for aerating purposes? Does it have to actually shoot up out of the water or is the bubbling good enough?
    Pool size: 30,000 gallons
    Filter: Sand, Triton II TR-100
    Filtration flow rate: 74 gpm
    Pool: IG
    Type: Plaster
    Pump: Emerson, 2HP

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Aerating

Bubbling is good enough, but many smaller bubbles is better than larger bubbles. For example, an air compressor hose put in the water is not great.

If you search around the site there are many examples of home made aerators.

You can get cheap fountains that would work too (like this one).
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Must I share?
    Ok. You talked me into it...

Sub-pump in pool. Hose attached. Sprinkler attached to hose and pointing at the surface. 'Country fountain'

Worked for us. Cash expenditure= $0. All materials on hand.
    One of my proudest newbie TFPer moments.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Backyard pool-less, but used to be.....
    16,100 gallon, 18x38 3.5 ft deep oval AG, Vinyl, Sand, 1hp pump
    http://www.poolservicestech.com Liquidator
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    http://www.tftestkits.net TFT100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Nice one Chris...reminds me of my redneck solar heater...a submersible pump and a couple hundred feet of coiled up hose and irrigation tubing. Cash expenditure= $0. All materials on hand.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator