Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand In The Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand In The Pool

I have an inground vinyl liner pool, about 20k gallons. It has a Hayward DE filter, clear water, and chlorine and PH look good. The strange thing is that I'm getting sand at the bottom of the pool. It's tan/brown, gritty and granular, so it's def not algae. I've cleaned it out a couple of times, but it comes back in a few days. Any idea where it's coming from?

2. Back To Top    #2
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Re: Sand In The Pool

Could just be dirt/dust/pollen... have you done an overnight FC loss test to make sure it's not dead algae?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

From your description, it sounds like pool filter sand. Put a "catch bag" made from nylon hose or something similar over your returns and see if you can catch it at the return coming into the pool. That'll confirm or deny it's from the filter.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't think it's algae because it's very hard and granular. Also, I don't have a sand filter,it's a DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Sinking Spring, PA

If you have pavers around your pool, I an guessing it is the polymetric sand they use between them.
    4th Year Pool owner in Sinking Spring PA
    46'x23' Free Form Concrete (34,000 gallons), Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen Finish, Pentair IntelliChlor SWG
    Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump, Pentair D.E. FNS Filter, Pentair MasterTemp heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

No, there's a concrete deck around the pool, no sand. That's what has me so puzzled. Is it possible that algae or something organic is combining with the DE to make a sand-like substance that's ending up in the pool?