Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Covers -- any particular brand or are they all the same?

1. Back To Top    #1

Covers -- any particular brand or are they all the same?

I know with things like pumps you typically want to look at Pentair, Hayward etc

Covers -- anyone make a better one over the other or does it matter at all?

Greg
    27' x 52" Round Lomart Sandstone AGP
    ~ 18,000 Gallons
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter 300lb
    Hayward 1HP Matrix 2 Speed pump
    2" Plumbing - 50 Foot run buried 18" Deep - Widemouth skimmer and 1 return with eyeball
    Compupool CPSC24

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Covers -- any particular brand or are they all the same?

Do you mean solar covers? Personally I don't think brand matters, but the thickness and warranty do, I look for 10-12 mil, 5-6 year warranty.
    40 x 16 IG Vinyl. Goldline SWG
    160 Sq Ft Roof mounted solar array
    2014 Hydropool Serenity 5000 Hot Tub
    The Pool School- A great place to start
    Jason's Pool calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Well really solar and winter.

The winter cover we got with our pool actually has some holes in it so we actually need to replace it.

Greg
    ~ 18,000 Gallons
    2" Plumbing - 50 Foot run buried 18" Deep - Widemouth skimmer and 1 return with eyeball
    Compupool CPSC24

4. Back To Top    #4

As far as solar goes brand isn't so important as the other differences: thickness (although thicker is heavier to handle) opaqueness - clear, blue, silver, black or some hybrid of themn and warranties. We have always had blue for years but our next will be clear

Winter covers for AG really fall into two categories: solid and "micromesh" - they function a bit differently. The solid covers keep all debris AND liquids out while the micromesh only keeps out solid debris and allows fluids to seive through like cheesecloth. One requires an inflated pillow under the center to keep the middle of the cover off the water/ice to prevent a puddle or swamp from forming and may need occasional pumping. One sits ON the water/ice and is not pumped off. Both have to be properly secured for windy conditions. Please note that the micromesh covers are winter covers designed for snow and ice and NOT the same as a mesh leafnet type cover which is not manufactured to withstand snow and ice. Good luck
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the input on the covers. I didn't realize there was a difference in the winter covers. Guessing I need the micromesh style as we do get some snow and ice each year (this year was really bad) here in VA.

I did order a 12 mil Clear cover this AM from Solar Covers.com as they sent me a coupon to use so it was a little more than $100.

Greg
    ~ 18,000 Gallons
    Compupool CPSC24