Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: psi gauge

1. Back To Top    #1

psi gauge

I recently replaced one junk psi gauge with another sold by a local pool store. The new one doesn't move higher than 2psi from the pressure immediately after backwashing (20-22 psi). A week or 2 later the gauge reads 2psi higher but i notice a substantial flow decrease out of the returns. Can someone recommend a decent brand or vendor? It needs to be a back mount and the only ones i have found at Lowes/Home depot are all bottom mount. I don't mind paying a little more for quality. It's a pentair sand dollar BTW.
    20000 gal IG freeform, vinyl, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Pentair 2 speed pump, Pentair Intellitouch controller, Pentair Heat Pump. Built 2008

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: psi gauge

Go to Ebay and buy a 0-30psi gauge. They're not much better but the scale is lower so they tend to be more accurate. You could buy a 4" faced gauge but they're expensive for this application.

You can buy a bottom mount gauge and a 90º elbow and close nipple to mount it to your filter.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply. So a 90 is okay? I was concerned that the 90 would affect the readings, but wasn't sure if it made a difference.
    20000 gal IG freeform, vinyl, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Pentair 2 speed pump, Pentair Intellitouch controller, Pentair Heat Pump. Built 2008

4. Back To Top    #4

Just make sure you get a sealed gauge. Some of the cheap ones on Ebay and an open back and water can get into the dial.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

i picked up a Wika glycerin filled low press 0-30 psi off of ebay for like 25 bucks.... had it 3 years now and still going strong... It is a nice stainless gauge and stands up the elements here very well.. We use these gauges where I work and they are very reliable.
    24' x52" Sharkline Venture (May 2016) ABG (13,500)
    Hayward S180T15932S --Sand filter/ Flo-Matrix pump pack
    Aquatrol-RJ SWG-- Nitelighter NLMC
    Dolphin E10
    Duraspa G2- Premium hot tub --Rotomold style

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by dremin2flyhi
    i picked up a Wika glycerin filled low press 0-30 psi off of ebay for like 25 bucks.... had it 3 years now and still going strong... It is a nice stainless gauge and stands up the elements here very well.. We use these gauges where I work and they are very reliable.
    I can vouch for the Wika guage as well. Just got one from these guys: http://www.gaugestore.com after multiple cheapos over the years. They have back mount versions like you want too. I went all stainless steel and glycerin filled and couldn't be happier. I also went with 0-30 for more granularity.

These are industrial gauges and they feel like it.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Backglass
    Quote Originally Posted by dremin2flyhi
    I can vouch for the Wika guage as well. Just got one from these guys: http://www.gaugestore.com after multiple cheapos over the years. They have back mount versions like you want too. I went all stainless steel and glycerin filled and couldn't be happier. I also went with 0-30 for more granularity.

These are industrial gauges and they feel like it.
    Yep. That is where i got it. Very impressed. Shipped it the afternoon i ordered it and received it 2 days later. Good company.