Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I be concerned with my FC so high?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I be concerned with my FC so high?

A couple of days ago, I decided to shock my pool b/c my CC was a little high (my FC was about 10) So I added a large jug and a half of chlorine (the big yellow jugs) and that sent my FC soaring. My CYA is about 80 (I know, it's high). Today my CC is down to zero but my FC is 24. Should I be concerned about my chlorine levels remaining so high for so long?

Here's my complete readings:
    FC - 24
    CC - 0
    PH - 7.5
    TA - 90
    CH - 260
    CYA - 80
    TFP SUPPORTER through TFTestKits.com - My Pool: South Florida, 11K gallons, In ground, concrete / Diamond Brite, Free Form with attached spa (no heater- go figure) Built around 1998, original surface, Jacuzzi Magnum Force 1.5HP pump, Jacuzzi Cartridge Filter, Rainbow 320 Tablet Feeder, Hayward Navigator Pro, Taylor K-2006 w/ TFTestKits replacemeng Reagents.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should I be concerned with my FC so high?

Some of us have had to keep the pool at or above shock level for a week or more with no reported ill effects to the pool. Just allow your FC to drop naturally and then keep it at the recommended levels. It should be fine.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    Just allow your FC to drop naturally and then keep it at the recommended levels. It should be fine.
    I read in Pool School that you must add 2-3 ppm per day to keep a pool sanitized. So does that mean that I should expect it to take as much as a week for the FC to drop down to about 9 or 10 ppm (assuming all else remains the same)?
    TFP SUPPORTER through TFTestKits.com - My Pool: South Florida, 11K gallons, In ground, concrete / Diamond Brite, Free Form with attached spa (no heater- go figure) Built around 1998, original surface, Jacuzzi Magnum Force 1.5HP pump, Jacuzzi Cartridge Filter, Rainbow 320 Tablet Feeder, Hayward Navigator Pro, Taylor K-2006 w/ TFTestKits replacemeng Reagents.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Yes.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

It could take a week or it could be less - you should still test daily so you don't get an unwanted surprise.
    A FC of 24 is perfectly safe for you to swim in when your CYA is 80.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by niceguymr
    A couple of days ago, I decided to shock my pool b/c my CC was a little high (my FC was about 10) So I added a large jug and a half of chlorine (the big yellow jugs) and that sent my FC soaring....
    One of the tenants of the TFP method is to not add something without knowing what it will do. In this case you did no harm, but make sure in the future that you don't blindly add things to your pool. Use Jason's Pool Calculator (link in my signature). Once you get it set up with your pool's specifics it is a simple matter to enter a current and target value for any parameter and it will tell you how much of a certain chemical to add to reach that target. No guessing necessary.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator