Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: 24 Round - DE Filter/Pump size Question

24 Round - DE Filter/Pump size Question

OK...need some suggestions...please. My neighbor is wondering proper DE/pump combination for a 24'x48" round pool. Since my experience has always been with sand filters, wasn't sure what the proper sizing is for DE filter...I know the bigger the better, but how big? BTW...current pump is a 1hp abg pump...Thanks!

Denis
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

Re: 24 Round - DE Filter/Pump size Question

For a DE filter, I suggest something with between 30 and 50 square feet of filter area. 15 sq ft is the usual industry suggestion.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

I have a 36 square foot DE filter with a 1.5 hp pump and it has performed well. A 1hp pump and 36 or more square foot filter should be fine.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21" round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Upper Texas Coast

Excellent...thank you
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

A 24' round AGP would be smaller than my pool; my filter's 36 sq ft with 3/4 HP and seems to be fine. I don't really have anything to compare it to, though.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

I run a 40 for 11 years and I have been happy with it. I have to clean the unit and drain DE 2 sometimes 3 times a year. Also use a 1 hp pump. The hayward I had was 15 years old and only needed replacing because I over tightened the bolts in a couple places and cracked it. Can't do that with the new model.
    24 ft all aluminum Esther Williams AGP, 1hp hayward powerflow 2 speed,hayward permaflex 40 DE filter, Rheem raypack 206 natural gas heater, polaris 165, hayward goldline aquatrol SWCG, main drain system.

I just started running a Hayward EC50AC (25 sq.ft.) DE filter with a 1HP Matrix pump this season. So far I'm very pleased. I was running a Hayward E-200 (200lb.) sand filter w/1HP Power-flo LX previously and can see the difference in water clarity, especially at night with the aqualuminator on.
    24' Round A/G 14,500 gallons, Hayward HeatPro HPABG Deluxe 60K BTU heat pump, Hayward EC50AC DE filter w/1HP Matrix Pump

Much like InTooDeep, I switched from sand to a Hayward EC-75 a couple of years ago, and have been very happy with it.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 36,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis panel roof top solar heat with Aquasolar controller, Dolphin Diagnostic Pro Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and soon to be connected UV Ozonator and now Hot Spring Jetsetter standalone spa
    I use and endorse the TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net