Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Run waterfalls or not?

1. Back To Top    #1

Run waterfalls or not?

I had made the assumption that I should run my waterfalls daily in order to flush them and make sure algae can't get a foothold. Now I'm wondering if I should do that at all. Seems like maybe it is pushing any algae I might have into my pool on a daily basis and providing nice, oxygen rich water to feed it (if it is indeed in there).

What do folks normally recommend? Flush daily or not? At the start of the day or end of the day?

- Jeff
    15,000 gal SWG pool, cartridge filter, all pentair equipment, variable speed pump, 400K BTU heater and spa, pebbletec finished

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Run waterfalls or not?

If you don't run them, any rain water will still collect and you will start to breed mosquitoes. Rocks will get covered with algae and if you do run the waterfall, you cannot kill the algae, it has grown too thick. When this happens, do not pour straight Cal-Hypo on the rocks like I did, it is not good for the rocks and may break them down a bit faster.

I decided that I needed to run the waterfall for at least a short time, 3x/day to keep algae down.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Dallas Tx

You are doing the right thing to run the waterfalls.

algae only needs phosphates, carbon dioxide and sunlight to grow....oxidizing the pool helps eliminate phosphates and carbon serving Dallas pools since 1953!

4. Back To Top    #4

Dallas Ft. Worth

Do the same things hold true with sheer descents?
    I hadn't used mine in several days and noticed it was flowing out like areas were clogged when i started it.
    Should I be using them everyday too?

5. Back To Top    #5
    Acton Maine

Run em at night, cooling things down in the pool, you want to circulate all the water and treat it all with your balanced water eventually anyway. If your in the shocking process then it wouldn't hurt to run them.
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator ,