Leak Advice

Jul 13, 2007
I performed a bucket test today and the bucket lost 1/4 while the pool lost 5/8. That leaves me with a leak of about 3/8" in about 26 hours. I have no leaks on the equipment pad and I put new "pookie" around the electrical cords in both light niches. That could probably be done a bit better but it seems to be pretty solid. My question is how much of a leak do you have to have before you would worry about it. For our pool, 3/8" is about 150 gal/day or 6 gal/hour. How small of a leak can a detection company find? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I was worried when I was losing over an inch a day so I guess that is why the 3/8 didn't seem so bad. The niches were the biggest culprits and maybe they could even have been sealed better. I used a two part epoxy I found in the plumbing section at Lowe's. You roll it in your palm and then apply. Looks very similar to what the pool store has that is twice as much money. Is there a difference?

rockyboy said:
I was worried when I was losing over an inch a day so I guess that is why the 3/8 didn't seem so bad. The niches were the biggest culprits and maybe they could even have been sealed better. I used a two part epoxy I found in the plumbing section at Lowe's. You roll it in your palm and then apply. Looks very similar to what the pool store has that is twice as much money. Is there a difference?

The price and the color :lol: I've actually found the stuff like you got to be easier to work with and last longer :cool:

Leak Update.....Could be trouble!

our leak continues but we may have found the source yesterday afternoon but that may not be a good thing :shock: We have a buddy seat/lounger that is fiberglass same stuff as the steps. The short version of the story is that there is a crack in one of the loungers. We noted a bulge with the builder when the seat was installed but who knows where he is. He promised to have the manufacturer rep come out and take a look....never happened. Well, the bulge has now cracked. I don't know if we are losing all of our water there but it can't be helping. The seat is still under warranty but who knows how long that would take to pursue and they would probably say it was installed improperly by the builder. Thinking about letting the pool drain below this area (about 10") and see if the leak stops but obviously this thing cannot be easily replaced. Does anyone know if there is a way to fix these types of cracks? Even if not our leak source, it will not be long before toes and suits start getting snagged. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.