PVC DWV?

May 3, 2009
Is the DWV stuff really inferior?...I have read a couple posts on not wanting to use it and found out (after not knowing what it was) that it is not for pressure.
Well, I can't even find anything else at my local homedepot or lowes.
You can find some fittings, but most of the stuff including pipe (which is what I need) seems to not even be carried anymore. At least not in 10 ft lengths.

So what is the deal with the DWV stuff? It is still sched. 40. I need to buy 150ish feet to hook up my solar panels and don't wanna do the wrong thing if there is really something wrong with the stuff.
If it shouldn't be used...what should I use?

thanks for any input.

danbutter said:
Is the DWV stuff really inferior?...I have read a couple posts on not wanting to use it and found out (after not knowing what it was) that it is not for pressure.
Well, I can't even find anything else at my local homedepot or lowes.
You can find some fittings, but most of the stuff including pipe (which is what I need) seems to not even be carried anymore. At least not in 10 ft lengths.

So what is the deal with the DWV stuff? It is still sched. 40. I need to buy 150ish feet to hook up my solar panels and don't wanna do the wrong thing if there is really something wrong with the stuff.
If it shouldn't be used...what should I use?

thanks for any input.

DWV pipe is thinner wall, like you said not for pressure. The fittings are bad too because the slip joint portions are too shallow (1/2" vs 1.5+" on a sched 40 fitting).

Any plumbing supply shops around you? There are a couple here that will sell to cash and carry customers (especially non-HVAC/plumbing stuff....just tell them its for a pool)

HD by me carries it, maybe just ask the plumbing isle guy (I know sometimes they are clueless too :hammer: ...sorry HD employees), but you can also just visit your local plumbing supply store. Use Sch40/80 PVC fittings. With that long of a run you should not chance using DWV fittings...they are not pressure rated.

The blown out elbow fitting I had to deal with at the corner of the pool a couple of months ago (professional leak detector, jack hammering up concrete, etc. ) turned out to be a DWV elbow instead of standard elbow, it lasted almost 30 years before blowing out.

Ike

JasonLion said:
There exists mixed use pipe that is both DWV and Schedule 40. Anything that says Sch 40 on each piece is fine. If it is DWV and not Schedule 40 then I would avoid it.
After a bit more research the mixed use is what I found out.
I am gonna just make sure it has sched 40 on it and move along with life.

Thanks for the help :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.