Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PVC DWV?

1. Back To Top    #1

PVC DWV?

Is the DWV stuff really inferior?...I have read a couple posts on not wanting to use it and found out (after not knowing what it was) that it is not for pressure.
    Well, I can't even find anything else at my local homedepot or lowes.
    You can find some fittings, but most of the stuff including pipe (which is what I need) seems to not even be carried anymore. At least not in 10 ft lengths.

So what is the deal with the DWV stuff? It is still sched. 40. I need to buy 150ish feet to hook up my solar panels and don't wanna do the wrong thing if there is really something wrong with the stuff.
    If it shouldn't be used...what should I use?

thanks for any input.
    25k gal vinyl AquaRite T-15

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PVC DWV?

Quote Originally Posted by danbutter
    Is the DWV stuff really inferior?...I have read a couple posts on not wanting to use it and found out (after not knowing what it was) that it is not for pressure.
    Well, I can't even find anything else at my local homedepot or lowes.
    You can find some fittings, but most of the stuff including pipe (which is what I need) seems to not even be carried anymore. At least not in 10 ft lengths.

So what is the deal with the DWV stuff? It is still sched. 40. I need to buy 150ish feet to hook up my solar panels and don't wanna do the wrong thing if there is really something wrong with the stuff.
    If it shouldn't be used...what should I use?

thanks for any input.
    DWV pipe is thinner wall, like you said not for pressure. The fittings are bad too because the slip joint portions are too shallow (1/2" vs 1.5+" on a sched 40 fitting).

Any plumbing supply shops around you? There are a couple here that will sell to cash and carry customers (especially non-HVAC/plumbing stuff....just tell them its for a pool)
    22K IG vinyl, .5HP Northstar pump, S244T filter, AutoPilot Digital w/SC-48 cell

3. Back To Top    #3

HD by me carries it, maybe just ask the plumbing isle guy (I know sometimes they are clueless too ...sorry HD employees), but you can also just visit your local plumbing supply store. Use Sch40/80 PVC fittings. With that long of a run you should not chance using DWV fittings...they are not pressure rated.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

There exists mixed use pipe that is both DWV and Schedule 40. Anything that says Sch 40 on each piece is fine. If it is DWV and not Schedule 40 then I would avoid it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

The blown out elbow fitting I had to deal with at the corner of the pool a couple of months ago (professional leak detector, jack hammering up concrete, etc. ) turned out to be a DWV elbow instead of standard elbow, it lasted almost 30 years before blowing out.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    There exists mixed use pipe that is both DWV and Schedule 40. Anything that says Sch 40 on each piece is fine. If it is DWV and not Schedule 40 then I would avoid it.
    After a bit more research the mixed use is what I found out.
    I am gonna just make sure it has sched 40 on it and move along with life.

Thanks for the help
    25k gal vinyl AquaRite T-15

7. Back To Top    #7

Schedule 40 is just a thickness rating. It has no bearing on whether or not the pipe is suitable for pressure usage.
    Here is a very concise and easy to understand explanation of the differences between PVC and PVC-DWV pipe and fittings. Easy to tell the fittings apart once you know their intended usages.
    http://www.spudfiles.com/spud_wiki/i...sure_Rated_PVC

Ron